DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

PC about to die

Evans Electric

PC  has just frozen  , had to press the crash button , start up all I can hear is the fan ,   just got it to restart  ...a little slow or is it my imagination .

There is a repair guy near here ,  would it be a good idea to ask him to knock up a new one with Win 10   and transfer  my stuff from this one .  

Or should I stick with the Currys  / PC world  type people .

Theres loads on ebay but all seem to be rebuilds .   

binky

windows 10 is quite good at failing to start eevry time. Might be worth cleaning out files like the recycle bin, dowloads and defragging the hard drive. Also if you keep lots of files on the desktop, delete or move these to a file somewhwere else to save clogging up RAM, pictures especially.

Andy™

stick to windoze 7. far better imo.

local computer shop would probably be better service than the big nationals

Geoff1946

Personally I would favour the local independant. He has to prove his worth all the time.

In the multiples there can be both good and poor technicians, but remember that the company aim is selling.

I've also had poor experience of customer support from my local branch of the company you suggest, though not admittedly in computing.

Blue Duck

joo hav de wirus :slap

crack open the case and give a good hoover. then boot up and go into task manager and see how many tasks you are running, this should give you a good indication of the load. to reduce the load run msconfig and look at start up and  background services, anything there thats not windows related give it the boot.

:)

Andy™
3 minutes ago, Blue Duck said:

joo hav de wirus :slap

crack open the case and give a good hoover. then boot up and go into task manager and see how many tasks you are running, this should give you a good indication of the load. to reduce the load run msconfig and look at start up and  background services, anything there thats not windows related give it the boot.

:)

Deke will hav already done that, him being the IT expert and all that

SPECIAL LOCATION
2 hours ago, Andy™ said:

Deke will hav already done that, him being the IT expert and all that

Deke has had all of these running at 110% capacity for the past three weeks...... 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=abacuss&id=87E2DCC66E66AF4DE4E209C1C9621E54E5A799AF&FORM=IQFRBA

trying to Un-Die his computer.....

While still keeping the forum running!!!

But so far.....

all he has found is that too many red beads on the left hand side could mean that....

There are not enough red beads on the right hand side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:C:C:popcorn

Murdoch

What’s your budget mate?

laptop or desktop?

i have always bought named brands and got my money’s worth!

Evans Electric

Thanks for the advice .  

I've been here before , BUT  I did a clean up a few months ago ,  then BT  did some local work and improved the service  /speed    ( and then put the bill up)   but PC was working  as quick as I need ,   I don't do the gaming thing as my brain can't cope with the rapid eye movements  TBH   so all was good ....EXCEPT.......  as I'm on Windows Vista  there is no longer any support or security upgrades forthcoming .   

Thats the reason I'm asking about new PCs   ...you can't upgrade from Vista  to W10  

Murdoch

When I bought my new laptop last year, I got one with windows 7 installed and windows 10 discs supplied ..

i am am running windows 7 .... as I don’t like 10!

Evans Electric

Well I did have a laptop on W7    I did the  upgrade to W10    and I thought it was shytte  TBH   ....the home page icons or whatever they're called  seemed to aimed at a 10 yr old ....AH!    Thats why its called Win10  .  

However the laptop lasted a week and fried itself ...shutting off except for the bleeps  that mean its a common fault ,  something fries inside ...Its still in the corner where I chucked it TBH .  

I prefer to have a desktop and biggish monitor screen  and an additional audio added on . .     

binky

Lenovo are pretty good - my sons ex-girlfrineds parents used to have a computer repair shop and always bought these. I usually buy DELL from their seconds shop - not so happy with my current laptop, but the predessor is still going strong after 8 years. I had to upgrade to the new lappy becuse the old one couldn't cope with windows updates.

Evans Electric

Murdo      looking at those lappys , I thought  any Windows up to 10  are no longer supported by MS  ...many of the lappys have Win7  ? 

Rob.

Look at replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Usually crashing etc is caused by defects on the old hard drives disc with it being written over constantly. 

Cost about 100 quid. Will likely give you 12 to 18 months more. Will take around 2 hours to get it all done at home. 

Murdoch
10 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

Murdo      looking at those lappys , I thought  any Windows up to 10  are no longer supported by MS  ...many of the lappys have Win7  ? 

I did specifically select computers with windows 7

i tend to buy computers infrequently and when I do, they are new

faffing around replacing parts is often a false economy imho

Evans Electric
12 hours ago, Rob. said:

Look at replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Usually crashing etc is caused by defects on the old hard drives disc with it being written over constantly. 

Cost about 100 quid. Will likely give you 12 to 18 months more. Will take around 2 hours to get it all done at home. 

Rob, this PC is 12 years old ,   not worth spending £100  ,   it came with Vista loaded in,   it had  1G  of RAM  which I upped to  4G    (  Who says I 'm no IT officianado )?  

I was told at the big nationwide TV , PC & white goods conglomerate that it was the Manager's Special  :C and was the  biggest thing since sliced bread .    What a fool I was  back then . 

I'm told if I buy a W10  one  there will be no    MS Word  which I use for business ,  in fact no extras at all  .  Vista came with Word , Exel , Photo gallery,  Movie maker,  Media centre  , Paint , DVD  , CD Writer  etc    .  Have to  buy them all with W10 .  

Sharpend

That is indeed true deke. Cost me a further £100 to get the antivirus, office, and something else- that’s how useful that was I’ve forgotten what it was already.!! 

Blue Duck

you shouldnt have to 're purchase MS word you should have a licence key tbat came with the computer.

There is always open office.

Murdoch
9 minutes ago, Blue Duck said:

you shouldnt have to 're purchase MS word you should have a licence key tbat came with the computer.

Not it sure I agree with that, if he’s got a very old version of word, it may well not run on windows 10

upgrading vista to windows 10 is never a good idea ...

Sharpend

If you have an apple account you could just get pages from the store, I have pages and numbers which is equivalent to word and excel. I do believe that documents in pages can be saved as a word format document? 

There are also various apps for documents such as Docs to go, documents pro, open office as mentioned. 

Evans Electric
On 18/07/2018 at 20:29, Murdoch said:

upgrading vista to windows 10 is never a good idea .

It doesn't work , apparently , can't be done or I would have done in on this PC by now .  

I have a permanent warning now that Vista is not supported  by MS  . 

Doc Hudson

I wouldn't be surprised if your versions of Word & Excel are no longer getting updated either?

Doc H. 

Tony S

That’s probably an advantage, stops MS messing everything up.

ProDave

When our old lappy with Vista died (boot sector of HDD buggered) I put a new HDD in and loaded Ubuntu onto it.

Old version of Office, Word, Excel etc still woeks under Ubuntu.