PC about to die

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PC  has just frozen  , had to press the crash button , start up all I can hear is the fan ,   just got it to restart  ...a little slow or is it my imagination .

There is a repair guy near here ,  would it be a good idea to ask him to knock up a new one with Win 10   and transfer  my stuff from this one .  

Or should I stick with the Currys  / PC world  type people .

Theres loads on ebay but all seem to be rebuilds .   

windows 10 is quite good at failing to start eevry time. Might be worth cleaning out files like the recycle bin, dowloads and defragging the hard drive. Also if you keep lots of files on the desktop, delete or move these to a file somewhwere else to save clogging up RAM, pictures especially.

Personally I would favour the local independant. He has to prove his worth all the time.

In the multiples there can be both good and poor technicians, but remember that the company aim is selling.

I've also had poor experience of customer support from my local branch of the company you suggest, though not admittedly in computing.

joo hav de wirus :slap

crack open the case and give a good hoover. then boot up and go into task manager and see how many tasks you are running, this should give you a good indication of the load. to reduce the load run msconfig and look at start up and  background services, anything there thats not windows related give it the boot.

:)

joo hav de wirus :slap

crack open the case and give a good hoover. then boot up and go into task manager and see how many tasks you are running, this should give you a good indication of the load. to reduce the load run msconfig and look at start up and  background services, anything there thats not windows related give it the boot.

:)

Deke will hav already done that, him being the IT expert and all that

Deke will hav already done that, him being the IT expert and all that

Deke has had all of these running at 110% capacity for the past three weeks...... 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=abacuss&id=87E2DCC66E66AF4DE4E209C1C9621E54E5A799AF&FORM=IQFRBA

trying to Un-Die his computer.....

While still keeping the forum running!!!

But so far.....

all he has found is that too many red beads on the left hand side could mean that....

There are not enough red beads on the right hand side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:C :C :popcorn

Thanks for the advice .  

I've been here before , BUT  I did a clean up a few months ago ,  then BT  did some local work and improved the service  /speed    ( and then put the bill up)   but PC was working  as quick as I need ,   I don't do the gaming thing as my brain can't cope with the rapid eye movements  TBH   so all was good ....EXCEPT.......  as I'm on Windows Vista  there is no longer any support or security upgrades forthcoming .   

Thats the reason I'm asking about new PCs   ...you can't upgrade from Vista  to W10  

When I bought my new laptop last year, I got one with windows 7 installed and windows 10 discs supplied ..

i am am running windows 7 .... as I don’t like 10!

Well I did have a laptop on W7    I did the  upgrade to W10    and I thought it was shytte  TBH   ....the home page icons or whatever they're called  seemed to aimed at a 10 yr old ....AH!    Thats why its called Win10  .  

However the laptop lasted a week and fried itself ...shutting off except for the bleeps  that mean its a common fault ,  something fries inside ...Its still in the corner where I chucked it TBH .  

I prefer to have a desktop and biggish monitor screen  and an additional audio added on . .     

Lenovo are pretty good - my sons ex-girlfrineds parents used to have a computer repair shop and always bought these. I usually buy DELL from their seconds shop - not so happy with my current laptop, but the predessor is still going strong after 8 years. I had to upgrade to the new lappy becuse the old one couldn't cope with windows updates.

Look at replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Usually crashing etc is caused by defects on the old hard drives disc with it being written over constantly. 

Cost about 100 quid. Will likely give you 12 to 18 months more. Will take around 2 hours to get it all done at home. 

Murdo      looking at those lappys , I thought  any Windows up to 10  are no longer supported by MS  ...many of the lappys have Win7  ? 

I did specifically select computers with windows 7

i tend to buy computers infrequently and when I do, they are new

faffing around replacing parts is often a false economy imho

Look at replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Usually crashing etc is caused by defects on the old hard drives disc with it being written over constantly. 

Cost about 100 quid. Will likely give you 12 to 18 months more. Will take around 2 hours to get it all done at home. 
Rob, this PC is 12 years old ,   not worth spending £100  ,   it came with Vista loaded in,   it had  1G  of RAM  which I upped to  4G    (  Who says I 'm no IT officianado )?  

I was told at the big nationwide TV , PC & white goods conglomerate that it was the Manager's Special   :C  and was the  biggest thing since sliced bread .    What a fool I was  back then . 

I'm told if I buy a W10  one  there will be no    MS Word  which I use for business ,  in fact no extras at all  .  Vista came with Word , Exel , Photo gallery,  Movie maker,  Media centre  , Paint , DVD  , CD Writer  etc    .  Have to  buy them all with W10 .  

That is indeed true deke. Cost me a further £100 to get the antivirus, office, and something else- that’s how useful that was I’ve forgotten what it was already.!!