Certificate needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark birch

Reaction score
Hi 

my mate wants to put power to his summer house in his garden ( 1 docket plus light fitting) he has a garage consumer unit or a socket at the back which can use 

he will dig s trench to the correct depth and use plastic conduit but does he need to have the work certified 

thanks for any help 

mark 

Yes, it also needs designing correctly to be compliant. 

Advise not to do without electrician visit first. Unless he doesn’t like his family or friends much. 

Hi 

my mate wants to put power to his summer house in his garden ( 1 docket plus light fitting) he has a garage consumer unit or a socket at the back which can use 

he will dig s trench to the correct depth and use plastic conduit but does he need to have the work certified 

thanks for any help 

mark 

It all rather depends upon how much assurance he wants that the circuit will be able to carry sufficient load, and in the event of a fault, will the protective devices disconnect the power fast enough to prevent fatal electric shock. As electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second, without doing the correct testing I do not know how anyone is sure that the circuit is safe. And if you have done the correct testing then there is no reason to not complete an appropriate electrical certificate. Now the reality is that you could just do the work, switch it on and just leave it at that. It is only if or when a fault situation arises that you may regret not following the guidance of BS7671 wiring regulations. And a person who gets injured may be a family member, relative, friend, child who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

This type of design, install, test, certify question arises quite frequently on the forum. And as DIY electrical work is legal in the UK, many people ignore it. Just as a certain proportion of drivers on road ignore car tax and insurance and go about their everyday life without a care in the world.  I would recommend getting a few quotes from local electricians to have the job done properly. New circuits in England also need building regulations Part-P notification and compliance certificate.

Doc H. 

thanks for any help 
You need an armoured cable  not plastic conduit if buried .    As said above ,  you need to design the work to suit the  expected load   , are any heaters being used?  

Work in gardens is not regarded as a Special Location  so no need to notify Building Control  as far as I know.    Does he need the work certified ?  You ask ...well if its a DIY job then no , you are free to do as you like .

However there are some technical issues and some Regulations that need to be addressed . 

You need an armoured cable  not plastic conduit if buried .    As said above ,  you need to design the work to suit the  expected load   , are any heaters being used?  

Work in gardens is not regarded as a Special Location  so no need to notify Building Control  as far as I know.    Does he need the work certified ?  You ask ...well if its a DIY job then no , you are free to do as you like .

However there are some technical issues and some Regulations that need to be addressed . 

New circuits need notifying, irrespective of where they run. 

Doc H. 

I'm sure you're correct  Doc,   funny thing is ,  half an hour ago I was dumping paperwork ..noticed an article in the  Connections Mag   Apprentice's Corner  about garden supplies where it said  " not a Spec Loc. so no need to notify" :C  

I'm sure you're correct  Doc,   funny thing is ,  half an hour ago I was dumping paperwork ..noticed an article in the  Connections Mag   Apprentice's Corner  about garden supplies where it said  " not a Spec Loc. so no need to notify" :C  

That is one of them stupid loop holes...

As far as I understand, it goes something like this...………..

a) Shed with 1x lamp, 1x double socket, supplied direct back to fuse box on own dedicated 16A MCB = New circuit = Part P  etc..

b) Shed with 1x lamp, 1x double socket, supplied from 13A FCU, extending off an existing ring =  Modified circuit = No Part-P = Stupid.

c) Shed with 1x lamp, 1x double socket, supplied across part of a garden in Wales =  Part P compliance needed....

So how exactly are the hazards and the dangers of electric shock etc.. to the users of the shed different in each of the above scenarios???

So why not ALL the same testing, certifying, notifying ?????????????

:shakehead :huh:

:C :wacko:

Confused.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is crazy  ... how does Duncan McSparkyface  get on ?.....he lives on the England / Scotland border  and works on both sides of it ,  so Monday he's governed by Part Pee  , notifying to all & sundry  but Tuesday he's on the Scottish side  where it doesn't matter a fig . 

Even worse for Electricians near the Irish border, totally different regs and requirements, even different cable types for Ireland and Northern Ireland.

However it would be useful to have some correlated and consistent (and  clear) requirements to meet.

It's not a problem for me. I am 300 miles from the border so never venture "south" in a work capacity.

Last job I did down south was a new CU for my sister, the day before part P came into force.

Latest posts