18th Edition, anyone got the book or done the exam yet? Discussion on changes.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, has anyone invested yet, and opened the book?

Has anyone booked training?

Has anyone done the exam yet?

Please use this thread for discussion of the contents in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
got the book, started reading it but not got all that far yet

no training booked, probably try and find an exam only if i can but no rush to do that

Negative on the book .

Negative on the training .

Negative on spending more money .

Negative on bolstering the funds of the IEE...NIEIC ..The Training companies ... and all the other hangers on I have to support. 

Am I right in saying there are six changes  ?    Is one of them  "only fitting the manufacturer's  MCB,s in boards .  ?   OK I've got that one .  

Why am I being offered  a course for six changes  ...at the the same cost I had to pay for a ten week course at night college .   Over  £400   !!   

There are much more than 6 changes, there are hundreds.

Some are very minor, some more significant.

Apart from all the pre-amble in the front having been updated, the indexes and stuff.

Would you like me to work my way through it, and post say a change a day or something?

It is relatively easy in the electronic package, because it has the changes highlighted red for removed, blue for additions.

Might as well?

I'll do a little anyway.

So excluding all the pre-amble up to part 1.

Content moved to this thread:

Shall I carry on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you like me to work my way through it, and post say a change a day or something?

It is relatively easy in the electronic package, because it has the changes highlighted red for removed, blue for additions.
change a day and we'll be on 24th edition amd16 before you finish

id concentrate on the main changes that are going to affect stuff. a.c & d.c to AC & DC isnt such a big thing (although you cant beat a bit of AC/DC)

Like Sidey , I too have the online version

I will find an online course and then rock up somewhere and sit the exam WHEN I am forced to

i am  62 and getting far too old for all this malarkey 

on a side note.....other than it being a money grabbing ploy from the scams as they will site it as a 'condition of enrolment,' WHY do we need to do exams?

just curious

.other than it being a money grabbing ploy from the scams as they will site it as a 'condition of enrolment,' WHY do we need to do exams?
You just answered your own question .  

Regs books 

College fees 

Training company fees

On site bleedin' guides 

NICEIC  course & exam .

I don't remember the 15th being a return to college ....just buy one an have read ...the 16th  was a big ..everyone back to college  jobby  or you'll never work or get a job again  .  

Got the book & have been booked on a 3 day course starting on the 30th............tango'd 3 days  :C  .............

Could someone enlighten me on something please? 

Do you have to sit a 5 full day course if youve have not compled the 17th edition update course (BYB) ???

Or is this jist site rumours? 

Thanks.
Not that NICEY are the be all & end all, but their site gives the following details:

Full course
Our full course has been designed for people working within the electrotechnical industry and looking to achieve the latest edition of the BS7671 and having not completed their 17th edition Amendment 3: 2015 qualification or new those who are new to the industry.   This course is available online or in a classroom for 3 days.  The full course provides indepth training on the changes and includes the 2 hour examination. 

Update course
Our update course has been designed for those people working within the electrotechnical industry who have recently completed their 17th edition Amendment 3: 2015 qualification i.e. City & Guilds 2382-15 or an equivalent.  This course is available online or in a classroom for 1 day.  The update provides an overview of the changes and includes the 2 hour examination. 

I did exam only, and I haven't done the Amd3 before, but, I did teach the 17th, Amd3 & a few other things for the local centre I did the exam at, and he needed someone as backup!

I got the same mark as he did and did the exam on the morning of the 3rd, just after I started one of the admin team came in to say that there was an issue with the exam!

I didn't see one, but then I did get a question wrong, perhaps there was a rogue question in the bank that I got landed with?

It's 60Q in 2 hours, open book, but it's a qualification, not an exam, so you should do contact time in the classroom.

I made over 100 comments on the DPC, so I knew pretty well what was coming!

How about a couple of sections a day then, I do have to work and sleep you know!

How about a couple of sections a day then, I do have to work and sleep you know!
This is appreciated ...but I thought  if you could outline   those stupid anti arc detectors , say .... then give  members a chance to comment , discuss & take it onboard. 

By the time we all relent & take the exam  , we'll have a good grounding . 

By the way , Stroma have a decent deal on the course / exam   , they accept non Stromaites .. I asked .

Full course
Our full course has been designed for people working within the electrotechnical industry and looking to achieve the latest edition of the BS7671 and having not completed their 17th edition Amendment 3: 2015 qualification or new those who are new to the industry.   This course is available online or in a classroom for 3 days.  The full course provides indepth training on the changes and includes the 2 hour examination. 
So having done over 40 years BUT not done the And 3 update course BECAUSE THE NICEIC SAID THAT I DID NOT NEED TO! I am now suitable to go on a 3 day course which IS ALSO suitable for newbies!   WTAF