Shower circuit breaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veldom

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had an electrical survey conducted on my home today and the behest of the buyers of the property. Now bare with me as I'm relating what the electrician told my wife. Apparently the only problem is the lack of a circuit breaker for the shower and consequently a new fuse box would be required. This has me confused as the shower is on its own dedicated line with a clearly labelled circuit breaker in the fuse box. So I don't understand. Can someone explain what breakers if more than one should be in place for a shower or what this guy might have been on about. thanks. 

What has he actually written down? 
Dunno. His report isn't for our eyes as its on behalf of the buyers. So not got a copy.  Just going on what he said to my wife. 

I want to know what should be in place for current regs, compare that to what I've got then can argue the toss if it comes back we need to replace the fuse box. 

Hum ....

It could mean the shower needs RCD protection .... That could be added reasonably easily ...

That said I would wait and see what the buyers solicitors do next.

Where in the UK are you?

Hum ....

It could mean the shower needs RCD protection .... That could be added reasonably easily ...

That said I would wait and see what the buyers solicitors do next.

Where in the UK are you?
Birmingham. Deffinately waiting, might be if work needs doing we take it off the sale price. 

So Best to sit tight and see what they ask or do next.

If you do have work done, please be aware that replacing a fuseboard falls under part P of the building regs.

As a guide, such a change is around £450 

So Best to sit tight and see what they ask or do next.

If you do have work done, please be aware that replacing a fuseboard falls under part P of the building regs.

As a guide, such a change is around £450 
Thats about the price my wife was told. Attached is a link to the current fuseboard. I thought that is an rcd for the shower.

Fuse box. https://imgur.com/gallery/cwgix2N

Last edited by a moderator:
I gather what the spark was referring too is a lack of RCD, judging by your pic. 

Sadly it’ll probably cost as much to modify that board as it would to replace it with a modern one- that’s if you can find a willing spark to modify it? 

Actually to be in line with current regs ....all the circuits need RCDs .

As said , wait & see  ,  some buyers just go on & on picking flies  until  it all falls through .     On the other hand they may really want the house   and would worry about the board  once they're in .  

What part of Brum are in  Veldom ?   

As above, now my bit, a Wylex RCBO will fit in there but on dome earlier boards of that style  rcbo's dont fit in the first 3 ways  due to the neutral bar being in the way. The shower circuit could be swapped to  a spare way , however all circuits should be rcd protected  and the board is plastic so it may be better to fit a new consumer unit. Cost would be between £350-600 if nothing else is needed. I would not do anything and if the purchasers want money knocked off tell them its less  than £500 .