Inadequate access to consumer unit/meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

says-les

Reaction score
I am a retired spark, asked by a friend to informally inspect a 15 year old installation in a luxury flat.  A beautiful installation except there is a gap of only about 12 inches in front of the main switchboard and water storage tank on opposite wall inside the utility cupboard. This would make it extremely difficult to access, and impossible to inspect the consumer units (2-off).  Whoever passed the installation (no original inspection and test documents), should be imprisoned!  The owner has the flat on the market for sale.

What should be done in this scenario?

SaysLes

So likely to be a 16th BS 7671:2001 blue cover install, or possibly after Amd 1 in 2002.

I do have a paper copy of both, but I'm not sure what that says.

However, you could try to sort this as a private case against the original installer/designer depending on who placed what when.

If the water tank was placed after the CU, then the wet worker is going to say that it's irrelevant to them.

It could be suggested that it is a breach of EAWR Regulation 15.

I should be able to find my blue 16th over the next few days if you really need it.

The only other option, is to re-locate the consumer units, or water tank if access is really needed.

Thank you, Sidewinder.  Please don't go to that bother looking out Blue IEE Reg book.  I just cannot believe that no one including clerk of works condemned it, and architect should have known better if he specified the siting of both water tank and mains supply.  I pity the spark who needs to access the consumer unit/s.

If your friend is a prospective buyer, and if they want the flat they should factor in the costs of the necessary changes to their offer .....................

Seeing more and more of this carp .................... clerk of works................. architect ? very rare to see either of these on sites ......................

12"" is larger than some gaps I've seen.  Should be enough room to remove cover which in turn would possibly allow sufficient access to relocate the boards.

Latest posts