Seeking advice from the wise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been asked to carry out another EICR  at a local veterinary surgery ....we've done it twice before ....  every four years I think .    I have the last results somewhere .  

Question is :-   

We carry  out EICR,s  to the current regs ............can I carry out this report when I don't yet have an 18th edition book  and I only have a vague idea of what the changes are  ( thanks to Sidey)  and have not done the course. 

Deaf it out and do it to the 17th    :C

Tell them I am no longer  qualified to  test & report.  :redcard

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might Kerch   ..good point ...   although we've done various remedial works   , theres an element of not wanting to spend  too much money .    We've been recommending  RCDs  for eight years  which I presume was the crux of the  medi surgeries  stuff .    Theres only one room that applies to  as  I see it .   

I'll look it up before we do it again . 

When lights fail he has a go at them  before phoning us .  

Installations in 2018 can be installed to the 17th if designed this year, or in fact earlier...
That is correct Murdoch, however, one of the intentions of the overlap is that as new designs are completed they are done to the new version as soon as possible.

Also, how many people actually commit a design "to paper" prior to construction?

Most small electrical contractors, and those rewiring domestics it seems just rock up and do the job, with little thought for the design process, the liabilities, or anything.

It's only on the larger jobs do you get a design, and that probably goes out the window as soon as the installation starts because the building has not been built to plan, and the other services are not where they are supposed to be.

some members of the forum are probably still working to 7671:2008 or possibly earlier in their own homes... re-wire but 1 room per year...

That quick?

Twenty years and I still hadn’t finished our three bed semi. I started the house with the 14th regs *, the wife divorced me during the 16th.

* I drew the line at bonding the knifes and forks.

That is correct Murdoch, however, one of the intentions of the overlap is that as new designs are completed they are done to the new version as soon as possible.

Also, how many people actually commit a design "to paper" prior to construction?

Most small electrical contractors, and those rewiring domestics it seems just rock up and do the job, with little thought for the design process, the liabilities, or anything.

It's only on the larger jobs do you get a design, and that probably goes out the window as soon as the installation starts because the building has not been built to plan, and the other services are not where they are supposed to be.

And many seem to be installing to the 15th edition or the back of a fag packet ........

And many seem to be installing to the 15th edition or the back of a fag packet ........
Again Murdoch, I will agree with you on that, the issue is how to root this evil out of the industry because they are driving down standards which is giving the good guys a bad name (in general), and they charge peanuts and this then becomes the expectation of the clients.

Again Murdoch, I will agree with you on that, the issue is how to root this evil out of the industry because they are driving down standards which is giving the good guys a bad name (in general), and they charge peanuts and this then becomes the expectation of the clients.

ha ha ha.

The CPS's won't investigate poor workmanship, the BC's ask for an EICR and remedial works .................... nothing will change ................. and as I've stated on many occasions, the more the regs get changed, with many poor or ill thought out and or ambiguous regs things will continue to get worse... 

OK, we’re back to that old chestnut.

The gas whallahs have their house in order because they are pulling together. Electricians are pulling many ways and getting nowhere fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gas whallahs have their house in order because they are pulling together. Electricians are pulling many ways and getting nowhere fast.
I see where you're coming from on that BUT  ...I still hear of  gas fitters shutting off appliances , basically because they were fitted to previous gas regs .  

One had a customer of ours knocking bricks out in their lounge  to fit air vents  when they had a perfectly safe gas fire , with a flue , tested and signed off by another Gas Safer.