Looped electricity supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal Paul

Reaction score
Hi. I am considering purchasing a semi detached house. The ekectricity supply comes via a cable in the air to the other house attached to me. It is then attached to that house near a gutter and divides into two cables. One goes in their house and the other along the outside wall of their property until it meets my house and goes in. I know it's unlikely but what it to stop my new neighbour curting my supply cable, if for example I fell out with him. What could I then do? 

Thanks. 

If he intentionally cuts your supply cable it would be criminal damage. The DNO (supply company) will have wayleave rights for both houses.

Why do you think the neighbour would cut your supply cable? He’d have to be suicidal to simply cut the cable.

Hi Tony. No reason to think that tge supply would be cut. In fact don't even know the neighbours. The surveyor mentioned it and said that I should clarify that your right to a supply could not be interrupted but the actions of your neighbour. 

You have no need to worry. You can contact your local DNO to arrange a service alteration and get your supply rerouted directly to your property, but it can be quite costly and unless you’re doing building work where the cables are in the way it’s not necessary. 

In some areas what you describe is normal practice ,  I wouldn't worry about it .   Usually found in rural area I suppose but I've seen  some like that on the outskirts of B,ham.