In this months PE ...............

Murdoch

This caught my eye

1098926688_Poll2a.jpg.56a20df5c75c0e445ffe464e75a5b8df.jpg

Blue Duck

Never!

:pmsl:

kerching

It doesn't have an option for my situation...

'when it absolutely has to be done and I am dragged screaming to do it'

at 62  1/3 I am going to see how long I can hold out for before they ceremoniously snap my neon over their knee and give it back in two pieces

Tony S
29 minutes ago, kerching said:

at 62  1/3 I am going to see how long I can hold out for before they ceremoniously snap my neon over their knee and give it back in two pieces

I did the 17th after I retired, why should you get away with it?

Sharpend
29 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I did the 17th after I retired, why should you get away with it?

Do you understand the concept of retired? 

Tony S

It was the DWP that thought they could get me back in to work despite a long list of ailments.

Officially I’m not retired, I’m disabled.

Evans Electric
On 02/08/2018 at 14:14, kerching said:

It doesn't have an option for my situation...

'when it absolutely has to be done and I am dragged screaming to do it'

Same  here ....I'm even older than Kerch    , hence we share a history of  7.029 cable  ,  wooden bending blocks  , tubs of tallow fat ,  240V  / 440V  , green earth wire and Pyro Straightener Rollers. 

I'm still smarting over the solid drawn cables inflicted upon us on Metric Changeover Day .  

Murdoch

So what’s going to happen when 26% don’t do the update exam?

binky

makes you wonder if 26% aren't registered anyway???

ProDave
26 minutes ago, binky said:

makes you wonder if 26% aren't registered anyway???

What percentage of electricians are in Scotland and NI?

Murdoch
9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What percentage of electricians are in Scotland and NI?

Is that relevant as to whether they upgrade to the 18th or not? We all follow BS 7671 don't we ........

Evans Electric

The 26%   are probably employed electricians ...as I remember, many didn't bother .   Don't remember anyone doing upgrades on the 14th  ...15th ...not everyone did the 16th  as such things were covered at management level . 

Sidewinder

Don't forget along the lines of the comment by EE above, there are quite a few electricians % wise whose work is not covered by BS 7671, so why should they bother?

Tony S

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16th at that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.

Jono Pashley

Oh **** a twitter poll they never attract stupid answers and are always super accurate

kerching

Who IS it that actually WANTS or NEEDS us to have these qualifications? Apart from the scams etc in order to refill the gravy boat

i have only ever been asked for 'proof' by the NIC man, nobody else, EVER

serious question, just curious

Sidewinder
38 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16that that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.

Tony,

The regs qualification won't help to prevent stupid though! ;)

As we all know it's just a test to see if you can find the answers to poorly worded questions in a book in a certain time frame and click the right buttons on a computer screen.

Murdoch
51 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16that that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.

But when they go out into the wider world in the evenings and weekends doing "cash work" they are out of touch ...............

ProDave
3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Is that relevant as to whether they upgrade to the 18th or not? We all follow BS 7671 don't we ........

There is a difference between working to the current regs version, and passing an exam to prove you are doing so.  If there is no need the be a member of a competent persons scheme,. it is arguable there is also no need to pass an exam.

Murdoch
12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is a difference between working to the current regs version, and passing an exam to prove you are doing so.  If there is no need the be a member of a competent persons scheme,. it is arguable there is also no need to pass an exam.

I'll try that angle with my CPS next year .................... one rule for some, another for others ............not ideal.

Are you going to do the 18th Ed?

Evans Electric
6 hours ago, Tony S said:

Well Tony  , I don't think the 16th would have  been of much assistance  in getting that the right way up . TBH  .

This has reminded myself of an instance years ago with a BBC .   We  ran a sub main from a switch room to a new Nurse's Home at a hospital .  I was a young sparks  then  ,  I phoned the office  for them to arrange a shutdown  so I could drill & fit a sw/fuse to the BBC  .... drill the busbars  and connect tails to them .  

Supervisor makes a rare visit to site  , tells me its difficult to get it shut down .   He then tells me to drill the 2" hole & mount the switch .    Then ....are you listening .... disconnect the earth wire from the metal bodied drill  & drill the bus bars live !!!!!      I'd already made my mind up that he was crazy  so asked how would I bolt the cable lugs on and get two spanners in there without frying myself .

He said ..... are you listening .....  you'll be fine just don't touch earth !!!     I'm still here as you may have noticed .    I spoke to the hospital   Clerk of Works and sorted it properly. 

ProDave

^^ what was wrong with that procedure. DNO works live all the time. Ask miss Sweedy.

Sidewinder

I don't think you would get a DNO doing a job like that.

Yes they work live, but that was a bit OTT.

If, something had gone wrong, the downtime would have been much more than the shutdown time to do it safely.

Andy™
50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

^^ what was wrong with that procedure. DNO works live all the time. Ask miss Sweedy.

they have proper procedues and the proper tools / PPE. simply disconnecting an earth from a drill so it doesnt go bang isnt really suitable...

kerching

I preferred the MEM BBCs.....the one with two rails per busbar

fit chamber and load it to the gunwhales with redundant BBCL clamps:innocent

or better srill if the client would stand the cost ( and they usually did) fit as many  fused switches as you could for expansion!...and they they came out with Merlin Gerin  panelboards and life got a lot easier