In this months PE ...............

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't have an option for my situation...

'when it absolutely has to be done and I am dragged screaming to do it'

at 62  1/3 I am going to see how long I can hold out for before they ceremoniously snap my neon over their knee and give it back in two pieces
Same  here ....I'm even older than Kerch    , hence we share a history of  7.029 cable  ,  wooden bending blocks  , tubs of tallow fat ,  240V  / 440V  , green earth wire and Pyro Straightener Rollers. 

I'm still smarting over the solid drawn cables inflicted upon us on Metric Changeover Day .  

The 26%   are probably employed electricians ...as I remember, many didn't bother .   Don't remember anyone doing upgrades on the 14th  ...15th ...not everyone did the 16th  as such things were covered at management level . 

Don't forget along the lines of the comment by EE above, there are quite a few electricians % wise whose work is not covered by BS 7671, so why should they bother?

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16th at that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh **** a twitter poll they never attract stupid answers and are always super accurate

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16that that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.
Tony,

The regs qualification won't help to prevent stupid though! ;)

As we all know it's just a test to see if you can find the answers to poorly worded questions in a book in a certain time frame and click the right buttons on a computer screen.

Only ever worked at one place that wanted electricians to have, I think the 16that that time. That was due to one of the lads installing a section of busbar chamber back to front.

But when they go out into the wider world in the evenings and weekends doing "cash work" they are out of touch ...............

Is that relevant as to whether they upgrade to the 18th or not? We all follow BS 7671 don't we ........
There is a difference between working to the current regs version, and passing an exam to prove you are doing so.  If there is no need the be a member of a competent persons scheme,. it is arguable there is also no need to pass an exam.

There is a difference between working to the current regs version, and passing an exam to prove you are doing so.  If there is no need the be a member of a competent persons scheme,. it is arguable there is also no need to pass an exam.

I'll try that angle with my CPS next year .................... one rule for some, another for others ............not ideal.

Are you going to do the 18th Ed?