Probably one of the worst 'reports' I've seen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rutts35

PDF Magician™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the fellows that works for me asked for some advice about the flats he lives in recently. The management company that looks after the maintenance and cleaning had contacted the residents to say the communal areas would nee a re-wire. Cost of £18k. To be paid for by the residents. Two blocks of flats. Wired in steel conduit in the mid to late 70's. Now I haven't seen it but from what he said is that the issue started with a fluoro light. It burnt out a choke and people were concerned about the wiring.

I told him that if the management company had commissioned a sparks to look at the wiring there should be an EICR indicating the need for a re-wire and why. He asked for the report and got e-mailed the attached. Like the title says, probably the worst I've seen.

Annoyed because it gives sparks (and I term them that loosely) a bad name. :redcard

View attachment Report_redacted.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I am willing to bet that 1970's wiring inside conduit will still be near perfect and all it needed was some new light fittings.

Well, I basically gave him a 2 page report on the 'report' saying that from the details given a re-wire probably isn't required. What is required an EICR by a reputable company!!

p*sses me off seeing stuff like this.

One of the fellows that works for me asked for some advice about the flats he lives in recently. The management company that looks after the maintenance and cleaning had contacted the residents to say the communal areas would nee a re-wire. Cost of £18k. To be paid for by the residents. Two blocks of flats. Wired in steel conduit in the mid to late 70's. Now I haven't seen it but from what he said is that the issue started with a fluoro light. It burnt out a choke and people were concerned about the wiring.

I told him that if the management company had commissioned a sparks to look at the wiring there should be an EICR indicating the need for a re-wire and why. He asked for the report and got e-mailed the attached. Like the title says, probably the worst I've seen.

Annoyed because it gives sparks (and I term them that loosely) a bad name. :redcard

View attachment 9516

That is not an EICR .......it does not contain the relevant tests and inspection details and the management company need to be made aware that it’s not sufficient information against which a desire could be justified

in addition, I think you should send the un re-dacted  report to Stroma ........ I would 

That is not an EICR .......it does not contain the relevant tests and inspection details and the management company need to be made aware that it’s not sufficient information against which a desire could be justified

in addition, I think you should send the un re-dacted  report to Stroma ........ I would 
 Dam predictive text

desire should read rewire !

It doesn't contain ANY results to justify a desire. 😂🤣

I've given my colleague a report telling them it should be an EICR, insufficient....... well everything. Highlighted what should be done if the observations are correct. I also stated they should be getting an EICR from a reputable company/sparks. I've offered him the Stroma route but at the moment he just wants to go back to the management company and stop them charging for an 18k rewire. 

But I'm with Murdoch. I would go to Stroma. Either way. 

It doesn't contain ANY results to justify a desire. 😂🤣

I've given my colleague a report telling them it should be an EICR, insufficient....... well everything. Highlighted what should be done if the observations are correct. I also stated they should be getting an EICR from a reputable company/sparks. I've offered him the Stroma route but at the moment he just wants to go back to the management company and stop them charging for an 18k rewire. 

But I'm with Murdoch. I would go to Stroma. Either way. 

Just send the report to Stroma ................... cowboys like this need to be named and shamed. 

The CPS 's won't act on reports of poor workman ship - but a report on their paperwork should more than rise eyebrows, and should result in the individual being spoken to .......................

Murdoch is right, it should go to Stroma, even if they don't want to raise a complaint.

All the schemes think that the "industry" is perfect and that these kinds of things don't happen so they don't need to do anything about them.

But if other scheme providers are anything to go by, Stroma will only take action if he is not a Stroma member and he will be fined for wrongly using their logo. If he is a member and doing bad work, well it seems some other providers don't care.

Dave, the thing is that nobody does bad work these rogues simply don't exist because the "industry" doesn't see it on the ground.

Things like this need to be sent to the schemes every time they are found for them to realise what their members are like and what the state of the industry actually is.

But if other scheme providers are anything to go by, Stroma will only take action if he is not a Stroma member and he will be fined for wrongly using their logo. If he is a member and doing bad work, well it seems some other providers don't care.

They may start taking notice if issues like this land on their "in boxes" more often.

Doing nothing is not an option.

Totally agree Murdoch, unless these things are rubbed in their face they pretend that they are not happening.

I recently inspected some work by a CPS member ............. no certificates for the 3 circuits altered .......... his excuse .......... didn't need to do any as the house had a new fuseboard (fitted by me)

Their other "crimes" - extending the only socket circuit in the house so it covers the extension .......... and at the same time introducing a "break" on the neutral under the kitchen floor. Plus they have a tumble dryer and washing machine connected via a 13A FCU ................The extension was adjacent to the cupboard where the fuseboard is and it had plenty of spare ways for new circuits.

Numpties - and the customer rang the NICEIC - who suggested the installer needed to be allowed to come back ................ the customer won't have them in the house again ............ general builder with a CPS membership ......................... says it all really.

Anyone who commented on this thread will be pleased to know Stroma are going to be contacted with regard to the company that carried out the 'report' EIC. Having put to the management company that the EIC wasn't a report  the answer received was that the electricians in question had carried out a visual inspection. They had seen some burnt wiring. Based on that they felt no need to carry our any further investigations and reported that a re-wire was required. Recording their observations on the EIC. Even though the EIC doesn't mention burnt wiring which had probably charred locally to a light fitting with a cooked choke.

I'm hoping either the guys aren't even with Stroma or Stroma look at the condition of the EIC and the events surrounding it's issue and deal with it. Not holding my breath though.  :(