Fitting Ikea light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathan1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit an Ikea light (slattbo) in the bathroom but the amount of cables in the current light and no earth in the new fitting has stumped me. In the current light there is 1 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth connected. There is also 3 live and 3 neutral which seem to be connected to a separate plastic box (not connected to anything else). There is only 1 live and 1 neutral connection in the new fitting. In the new fitting there isn't a space for earth. I also need to change the mount to include a hook which is supplied by ikea.  What do I do with the extra cables including earth I don't need but won't fit inside the new fitting?

As I can't attach photos, I hope this describes it enough.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/slättbo__aa-1798072-4.pdf

You have "loop a light" wiring. Before you disconnect ANYTHING take plenty of photographs and identify EVERY cable in some way so you can get back to how you were. Not all the "live" and "neutral" cables are the same, and what you may think is the same is not and get them back together wrong and you will have even bigger problems to solve.

You will likely have 3 or more red (or brown) wires joined together. They must remain joined together to themselves and not connected to the light fitting. There may or may not be a spare connector in the light fitting for that. There may or may not be enough room inside the light fitting for that.

You will likely have 2 or more black (or blue) wires joined together that must stay joined together and connect to the light fitting N

You will likely have one black (or blue) that should be sleeved red (or brown) that will connect to the light fittings L.  It is very common to find no sleeving making it harder to identify which of the black wires this is.

If your light fitting does not have an earth terminal, then all the earth wires MUST remain connected to each other, there may or may not be a terminal provided for this and there may or may not be room in the light fitting to do so.

Some light fittings can be VERY challenging to get all the connections in the tiny space provided.

If the cover (the bit that slides up over the cable to the ceiling) is large enough, then by far your simplest solution is leave the ceiling rose in place (without it's screw on cover)

EDIT

I have just re read your post. Icannot see that fitting is suitable for a bathroom, so take it back and get a proper light fitting rated for use in a bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator: