Can someone please help me understand Economy 7?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david891

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just moved into a new property that has economy 7. My economy 7 starts 0200-0900.

I have 2 electric storage heaters downstairs and have a hot water tank.

I have switched the only switch on, on the 2 electric storage heaters downstairs set the input to full and the output to lowest possible, it isnt using electric at the moment so that appears to be okay.

The house has been empty for a while and on my hot water storage tank there is 2 switches one connected to the bottom and one connected to middle of the tank. I believe the top switch should be the overide switch and the bottom should heat the tank during economy 7 hours? 

No matter what switch I turn on top or bottom switch it is still using nearly 3KW of electric, does the water not heat during cheaper time?

I have also checked my keypad meter for the current rates and it has HOT WATER on RATE 3 at 7-717p but like I said when I switch on either switch its using the more expensive daytime rate?

Any advice?

Regards

What is your location (i.e what country)

I suspect you don't have economy 7, but you have "total control" or a different regional variant (hence the where are you question)  These allow 24/7 hot water heating at the cheap rate.

E7 (and E10) only have 2 rates on the meter, you talk about a "rate 3"

What is your location (i.e what country)

I suspect you don't have economy 7, but you have "total control" or a different regional variant (hence the where are you question)  These allow 24/7 hot water heating at the cheap rate.

E7 (and E10) only have 2 rates on the meter, you talk about a "rate 3"

Location is Northern Ireland,  I have confirmed with the electric company I am on economy 7.

On the keypad metar I press a button to display current rates and it displays

domestic rate 2 15-72p

Central heating rate 2 15-72p

hot water rate 3 7-717p

Switch the top element off and check the water still gets heated up ...3 kw is probably about right for heating a tank .....

Is it not meant to heat during the economy 7 night hours?

Location is Northern Ireland,  I have confirmed with the electric company I am on economy 7.

On the keypad metar I press a button to display current rates and it displays

domestic rate 2 15-72p

Central heating rate 2 15-72p

hot water rate 3 7-717p

Is it not meant to heat during the economy 7 night hours?
I still don't believe you are on E7, that has 2 rates.

Do a test. Run the HW tank for 1 hour with nothing else on in the daytime.  Which rate on the meter counts up?  If it is Hot Water rate 3, then you have a cheap rate available 24/7 which sound more like what was called Total Control in Scotland.

Are you sure the "central heating" rate is the same 15.72p as the domestic rate? that sounds high.

A photo of your meter(s) and consumer units might clear up what supply type you have.

Latest posts