what kind of downlight is this?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuyocksol

Reaction score
hi

just moved into a flat with these downlights in kitchen and bathroom ceiling. some bulbs need replacing but i've no idea how to change them. seems like there are different types of these halogen (?) fittings which need different methods for getting them out. please see pics, hopefully you can see through this link: pics

hope this is enough for someone to identify the type for me!

many thanks

Look like they are probably GU10 type. Push firmly on face with finger and thumb and twist anti-clockwise. Should turn just a small amount and then come free with a bit of wiggling, (if that's the correct technical term!). Google a picture of GU10 to see what you are dealing with.

you need a suction pad really to twist them and remove, but can be done by hand. not really suitable for bathrooms though, especially if the ceiling is <2.25 high

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have the the sucker, and it is too tight to twist out with your fingers, get a bit of duct tape form a loop with it , stick as much tape as possible on the the front lens, stick your fingers through loop and twist slowly, hopefully that will work if it is GU10.

I'm thinking they are 12V  with the two spikes  .   Have you tried just pulling them straight down ??      You should just get  two finger nails and a thumb nail on the edge , then pull down .   

If they have two tiny spikes on the back for connecting , they are 12V  which means there will be transformers in the ceiling . 

Thanks Evans Electric! With a big of a wiggle (and wearing my wife's washing up gloves as at first my finger tips got a bit sliced) I got one of the buggers to pull straight down out of the socket, revealing itself to be "12V 50W 36o 680lm 2950K Germany Tesco". So now I wonder if it's possible to get a more modern LED bulb as replacement which will just slot into the exact same fitting..?

Generally LED bulbs require 12 DC and should be supplied from an LED driver.

You will most likely have a 12V AC transformer in the ceiling for each light fitting, LEDs may run on these but have a reduced life time.

These LED bulbs run on 12V AC and should be a close match.

Remember that in a bathroom it is better to have a light fitting that is at least IP44 (can be splashed with water) and it is required by the wiring regulations if the fittings are <2.25m high and within 0.6m horizontally of the plane along the edge of the bath/shower.