How many heating elements can I get on a single phase?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginster

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and not an electrician. 

I hope it's okay to post here a help request to tap into your expertise as I don't know any sparks to ask.

I run a home-based micro distillery (I make a damn fine gin) and I am about to upgrade my boiler to a semi-commercial size - but I need to know whether i can power it properly.

The boiler can run between 100L and 380L of liquid.  To get that up to temp (80c to 92c) and to run it for up to 8 hours takes a fair bit of juice - however I am only on a single-phase domestic supply.

The boiler has 5 heating element ports and it is up to me to configure them - I can use 1 or all 5 of them.

The suggested heating element is a 240v 5.5kw https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heater-Ripple-Element-240-Volt-5500-Watt/dp/B000BPG4LI/

although I could use 3kw elements if required - it will just take a lot longer to bring up to the boil.

I know I will need to hire an electrician to put in a much thicker power cable to handle the higher load.

My question is, how many elements do you think an electrician could run off a domestic single phase domestic supply and any pit falls to be aware of?

I don't want to go down the road of 3 phase if possible.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers

Dom

depends on the rating of your supply coming into the property. you might be lucky and have 100a, or you might not be so lucky and have 40a. potentially upto 23kw assuming nothing else, not even lights or a computer, are used at the same time

Thanks Andy.

That's useful info. I've contacted Western Power to ask them what power rating I have.

If it is a 40a supply I guess I could run 3 x 5.5kw elements and still have a few lights an a tv on?

i guess the worst that can happen is the main fuse trips if I overload the circuit?

Cheers

Dom

Ah, ok.  Western power are sending someone out to check out the supply to let me know what it can handle - no charge - although I sense a quote for 3 phase coming on.

usually you have 80 Amps, worst I've seen is 60 Amps . Now 3off 3kw heaters is 9 kW, as most electric showers are 9.5kW then this shouldn't be an issue. A single 5 kW heater will be no problem, 2off 5kW is fine, 3off 5kW heaters should be OK

A quick amps vs kW comparison

image.png

If you are using the heaters for an 8 Hour period even though the heaters will be turning on and off by thermostats, then you will be limited during that time in what other items you can use, e.g. starting your electric shower, oven, hob, possibly even the kettle,  might blow the main fuse, this would leave you without power for a considerable period and would be a chargeable call out from your supply company to replace the fuse.

It is best to remain well within the limit of your supply fuse, even though they are fairly hardy.  If nothing else you will be amazed at the size of your electricity bill when it comes and will need to drink the gin to calm down.

An electrician could asses the likely load currently on your house and be able to advise on the sensible level of power consumption.

Latest posts