power to garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeytee

Reaction score
I want to supply power to my garage and also to my summer house.Please could anyone tell me what i need to achieve this.

i want to run the cable and units so an electrician can just come and connect everything up....

Get a Sparky in to take a look  & give you a price .   Ask him at the time  if you can run the cable  from house to garage  ...as in digging the trench  to the advised depth ,  lay a cable of a suitable size  , laid in the approved manner   from A to B  for the sparks to finish it off  .  

Paying an electrician to dig a trench would not be financially advisable  really .   

i thought i was discussing this with a sparkie !!

Hi there,

People are not being awkward with you.. It is not just a question of "running a cable" you see. You have to calculate what size and type of cable is needed first.. It depends on  load, length of run, earthing type, something called "Ze" and the resultant "Zs" the type of overcurrent protection installed. loads of things..

What you are asking is a bit like going on a car mechanics forum and asking, "what tyres do i need for a motor vehicle" but without saying what type, size, make, model of vehicle.. or what you are using it for..

Say i asked you what type of earthing did your house have?? What would your answer be.. This would be one thing we needed to know..

if you told us more we could help you, but then the bloke doing it might have different ideas on how to do the job.

john