Is it safe?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em572

Reaction score
My landlords plumber has put in new hot water pipes to the shower room and has put the hot water pipe directly above (no gap) the fuse box is this safe?

A photo would be useful but I think a 150mm gap would be more sensible ...
I am not sure how to post a photo on here I have one on my phone. There is no gap it is horizontal and resting on fuse box

There is a better one BUT it's late and the search feature is 💩 

528.3.1 A wiring system shall not be installed in the vicinity of services which produce heat, smoke or fumes
likely to be detrimental to the wiring, unless it is protected from harmful effects by shielding arranged so as not to affect the dissipation of heat from the wiring.
In areas not specifically designed for the installation of cables, e.g. service shafts and cavities, the cables shall be laid so that they are not exposed to any harmful influence by the normal operation of adjacent installations (e.g. gas, water or steam lines).
528.3.2 528.3.3
Where a wiring system is routed below services liable to cause condensation (such as water, steam or gas services), precautions shall be taken to protect the wiring system from deleterious effects.
Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it
shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.
NOTE: This may be achieved by: (i) suitable spacing between the services, or (ii) the use of mechanical or thermal shielding.
528.3.4 Where an electrical service is located in close proximity to one or more non-electrical services, both the following conditions shall be met:
(i) The wiring system shall be suitably protected against the hazards likely to arise from the presence of the other services in normal use
(ii) Fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requirements of Section 411.
NOTE: The requirements for segregation between low pressure gas systems and electrical equipment are given in BS 6891. 528.3.5
BS EN 81 series. 148 No cable shall be run in a lift or hoist well unless it forms part of the lift installation as defined in (IET)

IET. BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, 18th Edition. Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), 07/2018. VitalBook file.

^^ that's all well and good but the electrics were perfectly safe until the plumber ran the pipe ...
Like the time I did an EICR. Went back a week later to do some remedial work and the plumber had been to fit a new boiler, and fitted the expansion vessel right in front of the CU.

There is a better one BUT it's late and the search feature is 💩 

528.3.1 A wiring system shall not be installed in the vicinity of services which produce heat, smoke or fumes
likely to be detrimental to the wiring, unless it is protected from harmful effects by shielding arranged so as not to affect the dissipation of heat from the wiring.
In areas not specifically designed for the installation of cables, e.g. service shafts and cavities, the cables shall be laid so that they are not exposed to any harmful influence by the normal operation of adjacent installations (e.g. gas, water or steam lines).
528.3.2 528.3.3
Where a wiring system is routed below services liable to cause condensation (such as water, steam or gas services), precautions shall be taken to protect the wiring system from deleterious effects.
Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it
shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.
NOTE: This may be achieved by: (i) suitable spacing between the services, or (ii) the use of mechanical or thermal shielding.
528.3.4 Where an electrical service is located in close proximity to one or more non-electrical services, both the following conditions shall be met:
(i) The wiring system shall be suitably protected against the hazards likely to arise from the presence of the other services in normal use
(ii) Fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requirements of Section 411.
NOTE: The requirements for segregation between low pressure gas systems and electrical equipment are given in BS 6891. 528.3.5
BS EN 81 series. 148 No cable shall be run in a lift or hoist well unless it forms part of the lift installation as defined in (IET)

IET. BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, 18th Edition. Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), 07/2018. VitalBook file.
Thank you