And suddenly I remember !!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find , these days ,  that most stuff on TV is uninteresting , predictable  and sometimes aimed at  chimpanzee viewers .  

Each day I listen to a certain amount of radio  ,   read , play my guitar ,  call in on here ,  look at Youtube ,   then may watch  two hours TV with Mrs Deke  , perhaps a good series , film  etc .  or a DVD .    Mrs Deke watches a quite a bit for various reasons . 

And suddenly I remember !!!     When I was much , much younger  and my Mom was still alive  ,  where most people have the TV on , perhaps all day ,  my Mom would say  " Ah my programme is on now "      turn on TV,  sit down to watch it ...then at the end  , ups and switches it off again  !!    Thats it !   No looking at what may be on next .   no looking at the other  two channels .its off!!  Doing something else .   

Not only am I becoming Victor Meldrew  I'm also becoming my  parents. 

Ooops. As it wasn’t bad enough that I’m slowly becoming my own mother, I appear to be turning into yours. 

Moved house a little while ago and signed up to Sky because it was the only decent broadband provider. So now I find myself with both Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky Boxsetssomethingorother and an attention span that is actually too short to sit through an hour long episode of anything! 😆

Channel hopping didn't take long when there were only 3 channels, and in the daytime 2 of them were showing a test card.  And as pointed out, no electronic program guide.

However, it used to be in the tv listings that a repeated program had R next to it so you know it is a repeat.  Now, so much is repeated again and again, you instead have to look for the few programs that say NEW in front of them, the vast majority are repeats.

We use to channel hop by throwing like frisbees cork cup coasters at the sticky out channel buttons, it was usually more entertaining than the programmes, a big family cheer when the channel changed to a random one of the other two, 😀 ahhh the simple things in life.

We use to channel hop by throwing like frisbees cork cup coasters at the sticky out channel buttons, it was usually more entertaining than the programmes, a big family cheer when the channel changed to a random one of the other two, 😀 ahhh the simple things in life.
I was the posh kid at school. I had a telly in my bedroom. AND I had remote control (an old snooker cue to push the buttons with)

mind you, the black and white pics were a bit poorer quality than today AND there were only about 2  TV celebs (but that word hadn't been invented)

I remember a time  when my mate's parents had  the only TV  in our street  .    As kids we all piled in there to watch The Lone Ranger  at about 4.30 .    Blimey they must have been millionaires  !!  

My Dad saved up  ( They would never take  the new fangled Hire Purchase)   and bought a Regentone   B&W TV   ..with a radio style tuner  although there was only one channel . 

Kerch  I remember that my mom  saw the early  announcers as the  celebrities of the day .    Remembering  that between each programme   an announcer would appear , sitting at a desk and would say things like  "   Well I hope you enjoyed that last programme  as much as we did  , etc etc "    

There were about three men , three women .

After  7.00 pm  they the men wore evening suits  with dickie bows  , the women wore "posh " gowns .   

As a small boy  I developed a "thing" for Sylvia Peters  but wasn't sure what it was.  

download.jpg