Advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantachi

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Cam 

I have just finished  the  level  3 2365 c&g at college which gave me my diploma, Now my understanding was that I now need to find somewhere to do an NVQ to continue on my way to becoming  an electrician ( i have just done two years at college and was told a week before we finished for the year that the NVQ was a separate part )  so I started applying for apprenticeship after hearing nothing back from that i called a training provider  who told me I wouldn't be able to take an apprenticeship due to me having my level three 2365 so know I'm at a bit of a loss not knowing where to turn too next. my question is how much of the info I have been told is correct and is there another route I could take to receive a jib grading. if anyone could shed some light on the situation It would very much be appreciated  

regards 

cameron

thanks, dude I have signed up with them just need to get the eye sight test done thanks for the reply  though :)

To me , as an old phart ,    getting yourself through an apprenticeship these days seems an absolute nightmare.

I feel genuinely sorry for youngsters  .

A typical experience 300 years ago  was :

Leave school at 15 .

Get a job as an apprentice   with a large contractor  employing about 200  .

Registered with JIB 

Day release at local college

Minimum qualification would be C&Gs A 

Do 6 years work with electricians.

Go"on the tools"at 21  

Start learning to be an electrician. 

Hi Evans,

yeah it can be abit there's just so much misinformation out there college enrolling people on courses  that have no real value sure the underpinning knowledge is there on how and why sparks do certain things but really getting out on the tools and doing it is a completely different matter but I'm sure if I keep at it ill find an apprenticeship i might also look at getting some experience as a mate see if I can get my portfolio built that way  thanks though :)

as long as it get me my nvq and then the am2 I'm happy it is a same though as i was in a class of about 30 and there was another level 3 class and know knows about the level 1 and 2 but ill guess at least another 40 of them. its going to be even tougher for them 

This NVQ  3 is causing much heartache .    I've been over this before but you weren't on here then ....my neighbour's son was desperate to get an apprenticeship ,  he did a lot of work with us  but we are both semi retired and only do a couple of days  a week ...some weeks we don't work at all   which fine for us  but no good for someone needing full time employment .  

He did various stuff at the local college but tried forever to get employment to do this NVQ  thing  .      Now given up  and working for an energy monitoring company , driving all over the place  adding  some electronics to gas meters   :C     At least he is working  although its far removed from electrics . 

He reckoned that of the 30 odd in his college class , none  ever got a job to enable this NVQ stuff. 

see that is just annoying  because  i can guarantee you that when he signed up he was promised the sun stars and the moon when i stared my level two i was told by my tutor  that by the time level 3 stared that 60% of us would be in apprenticeships when that didn't come about he then told us all we had to do was complete level 3 and sit an nvq assessment again that wasn't the truth so i stared getting in touch with sparks that were  around my area  and asking them for advice  and they started filling in the blanks and pointing me in the right direction  a few even let me get abit of work exp with them  you just can't simulate the work environment in a classroom so the best route i think i can take atm is to work as a mate and just  paying for the courses like the 18th edition as and when a can and just keep looking for someone who is willing to train me      

I'd have to agree to be honest  , it really is NOT easy any more .   Once you're working you  will pick up other contacts  .. in other words you will be "In the loop"   

Could be as easy as going in the wholesalers and someone says  they're looking for a apprentice .  

I wish you well with it .  

tbh if it was easy i wouldn't want it :p   i have thought about nipping to the wholesalers with my cv and just seeing if i chuck them a bit of cash they will let me leave my cv on the counter or something and thank for the advice mate i really appreciate it  have a good one 

most wholesalers are happy to display a CV for no charge.

As for apprentice positions, the lack of places is down to sub-contracting. The bic companies do not employ staff these days, and the small companies they subby work to can't be arsed with the paperwork and hasle of training youngsters. This in turn isn't helped by a lack of youngsters who want to work, aren't permanently attcahed to mobile phones, and are prepared to get their hands dirty.  The government withdrawing any financial bonus for training hasn't helped either, so mostly contrcators like myself work alone or with a friend when needed - less hassle, less headaches, and less stress! 

A possible route for you would be to sign on with an agency, this will rpobably end up a sbeing mostly large site work, which is a rough enviroment, but you can learn a lot from sites - like how not to get killed by other trades being thick .....  :^O