Old conduit house wiring.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While up my loft today and pottering about, a question came into my head probably aimed at the guys doing a lot of house wiring, which isn't me as I was an industrial spark.

My house was built in the early 60's it is red and black conduit wires contained in the conduit and the conduit is used as the earth path. The conduit looks the imperial equivalent to say 16mm conduit so not much ID.

The house wiring is still in decent visual condition (Cobblers shoes!) and I have no intention of rewiring, but if it was to get done what is the best practice used.

Do you just pull brown blue and earth 1.5mm conduit wire through or would you pull through 1mm t&e? Could see the t&e working for the lights but what about when it comes to the sockets as there is no way 2x 2.5mm would get through that conduit.

Or would you just forget totally about the conduit and chase out the walls (no stud walls all solid).

As I say just thinking out loud, time for a beer😀 Have a good evening everyone it's Friday

It's 5/8"

two 1.0 twins or if  you are lucky. Twin and a 3 core will,fit

retain switch drops

bin the rest

put talc on the wires and keep straight

never seen 5/8" for power.....it's usually 3/4"

bush the ends of the drops....used to be able to get 16mm pvc end bushes.....probably not any more now

just having done a few

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere I have a 5/8"  conduit die & guide    .  Must have had them for 100 years  from  a job at the Bank of England in Brum .  Jeez!!! thats going back a bit ....scarey !!!