email from China. Would you respond?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
 I received this email this morning (part redacted)

Dear CEO,

(It's very urgent, please transfer this email to your CEO. If this email affects you, we are very sorry, please ignore this email. Thanks)

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in China.
We received an application from Hua An Ltd on August 13, 2018. They want to register " mydomain " as their Internet Keyword and " mydomain .cn "、" mydomain .com.cn " 、"mydomain .net.cn "、" mydomain .org.cn " 、" mydomain .asia " domain names, they are in China and Asia domain names. But after checking it, we find " mydomain " conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not? Please reply to [email protected] or [email protected].

Best Regards,

Mike Zhang | Service & Operations Manager

China YG Domain (Head Office) | 8006, Xinlong Building, No. 415 WuBao Road, Shanghai 201105, China

So I own and use mydomain.co.uk   They want to register and use various versions of mydomain with asian extensions.

Personally I am not bothered. I have no dealings in China or anywhere in Asia so I can't see a conflict if they proceed.

But they seem to be asking my permission? or what exactly are they asking?

Would you reply, or just ignore it and carry on with life?

More spam - getting loads of it lately, mostly people claiming they want work done but no contact details, phone numbers, address, just an email and a 'link' to click on.

Yes I'm getting (or was) loads of "I want some work doing please follow link to my specifications so you can submit quotations".............yeh right.

And the reason I say was, is because I use a hosted email & office service from UK Trades Confederation (UKTC). But since mid July the email has been hammered with spam to the point customers now get a bounce back email stating the emailbox is over quota.

I even set up to PoP the emails to outlook so I could still get mails, but as I am unable to clear the over quota mail box (every time I trash the spam it replicates almost as though the junk/trash folder is dumping mails back to the in box ) I dont get any emails forwarded.

Friday when I finally got through to an IT tech who sounded sooooo carrotted off, he was quite open & blasted the whole set up.......

UKTC customer email server is in itself hosted by a 3rd party, I asked why do they not spam filter at source as using the email service as a customer you are unable to apply any filters; it would seem expense is the issue.

He then went on to explain that if one customer opens a dodgy link, then everybody on the server will be spammed.

Needless to say UKTC are getting the elbow on Monday & I will be looking to set up my own website & email.