Downlights doesnt work?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAleks

Reaction score
Hey guys, i tried to install some Downlights myself, it should be pretty forward. its 6 spotlights and they are like 3 watt in light strength. anyways, i connect the downlight leddriver to the power, but still nothing. did some testing there is 240 Volt comming into the LED DRiVER. but still no. so im kinda clueless now because the lights wont turn on even though it comes power thru to the LEDDRIVER.

the leddriver can handle 240volt.

i bought the lights here, in very sorry the website is in norwegian but you can translate it via googles translator.

(couldnt find the website or the product on any english websites) :p

https://elby.no/capella-ip44-downlight-mini-6-x-3w-led-m-driver-hvit.htm

Thanks! if im doing anything wrong please mention to me!

i did a test with my multimeter, and it came 240V thru the powersource, and 240V when i connected the powersource up to the leddriver, but the lights still doesnt work?

You didn't by chance connect the 230v to the output by mistake?

If this isn't the case then back to the vendor is my advice

Last edited by a moderator:
i`m pretty sure i connected to the main 240v line, becuase we only got one wire in the garage with active power. i tested, but i wil doublecheck when i come home later today. been trying EVERYTHING, so kinda frustrating. but i wil go try when i come home.

Oh sorry, then i probably sat this up in wrong topic? (really sorry for the inconvinience), yes i have already tested with ordinary lights, ordinary lights to work connected up to the censor without any problems! (was also other types of light before i switched in the LED downlights (connected everything in the same order), and when i connect my downlights nothing happens! there is ofc the leddriver between the lights and the 240V power. so ordinary lights do work, but not the downlights?

can the lights i bought be damaged?

Last edited by a moderator:
slapdash, i tried connecting the power directly to the led driver? and just not the downlights to the censor, still doesnt work. there is three four wires from the censor, one brown, black and white and one earth (copper cable). been doing alot of testing to check if actually thing works, connected the power directly to the leddriver etc, feels like i`ve tried everything.

kerching here is the link to the product i bought since the other link died or something. https://elby.no/capella-ip44-downlight-mini-6-x-3w-led-m-driver-hvit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtvnbBRA5EiwAcRvnphc8y-p4Q-RB-JuSip9aMSWqMQohoIq9YcEwG-yp0eBaPQIJ3bSTrBoCwEAQAvD_BwE

https://imgur.com/a/49EeGeY

ID number: 3230162 ?

hopefully i can post a link? hopefully the link i sent you can provide the details you need. so sorry! cant find the product on a english website!

i couldnt find any ikea  part number? (didnt buy it at ikea :p )..

How have you connected the lamps to,the driver

in series or in parallel?

that appears to be a constant current driver so I would expect a series connection

ie out of driver into fitting out of fitting to next fitting etc then back to driver

like a daisy chain NOT a ladder

but what do,I know?....see wife for further details

I agree. It appears odd to me to use a constant current driver for such small multiple fittings.

However, as Kerching says they will be wired in series, (which also seems odd with the type of prefabricated wiring harnesses pictured there).

The consequence, is that just like old type christmas tree lamps, one fault and they all go out! Also the lamps are probably polarised, so if one is reversed and also nothing works.

Hence:

Did you buy it all as a kit of guaranteed compatible parts?  Is that definitely the correct driver for those lamps and cables?

Check all connections are secure, and polarity is correct where indicated.

yeah i bought those ina  pack, 6 lights one driver, and a little hub for those lights to go into. i connect my power to the led driver, Blue to blue, brown to brown. should work that way shouldnt it? even when i only connect one downlight to the small hub i got connected to the Led driver, still nothing happens.. so im kinda lost. not sure what to do, should i try getting my money back?