EICR What do others do ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When compiling these  we are asked for details of the Main Supply fuse .

More modern ones have been stickered by the DNO ...generally stating , 60A..80A..100A    BS 1361  / 88   PME  .

Often the fuse has fallen out while we were actually  there  so we've taken the opportunity  to  inspect it  , replace and  seal it up to save others the bother . 

However  doing an EICR today , the fuse was sealed   and I just couldn't be bothered   ... far side of the city , wanted to go home ...   the question is asked on the form  yet they know we can't see  the fuse  so I just think if there is someone out there who wants to know the fuse size  ,, they can go and look  for themselves,  I've just ticked a thousand boxes  and filled in the eight  yes  8 pages including  inspecting the main supply cable , the head , tails ,& metering  ...sod all do with me , we can't touch them but  someone wants us to inspect them . Eh! 

Do others  pull the fuse or as I did...leave  a blank box .  

LIM - I would also add an additional comment if 16mm tails but unable to ascertain DNO fuse size.

LIM - I would also add an additional comment if 16mm tails but unable to ascertain DNO fuse size.

Well ........... the don't show any signs of damage, the property has gas central heating and I calculate the maximum demand to be around 36A to unlikely ever to be a problem.

Whats that? 

Can only hope the previous electrician sized the tails with the knowledge of fuse size 

?? 
How far can we go, we're not allowed to remove seals as they're not the customers property. Could code them FI but who pays to call out the DNO to confirm the fuse size?

I tend to put down "labelled as"... 60A or whatever is on the carrier, if anything.

Then I assume they labelled it right regarding the rest of the bits I have to inspect but can do nothing about.

If we are to code these how can we when BS7671 does not apply to them because the ESQCR takes precedence.

We can say that the installation is unsafe, if it is, but that is about it.  We are just doing the DNOs job for them.