Neutral testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you test Neutral to Cpc, ie  Rn to R2  when testing either new circuits or on a Eicr  (to be clear, similar test to R1 + R2) . All circuits not just rings . Also have you seen any software or test sheets that has anywhere to record this ?

On new circuits I always test rn +r2, and just compare with r1 + r2

saves a lot of faffing around ..... 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always, when possible test Rn+R1 & Rn+R2, and, ZL-N.

I have never seen the requirement to record any N side test results apart from on a Ring Final.

However, I do think that the lack of focus on testing the N side is part of the reason we see burned out N's more than anything else, plus it does give you a quick verification of volt drop at the point also, as well as the PSCC at the point.

I've long wondered why this step isn't included in the standard continuity tests ................ after all, if you don't do this you haven't proved continuity on radials and lighting circuits

always seemed odd to me not to at least dead test neutral. I tend to twist L,N & E together when dead testing, so it's easy to do this, and it helps confirm R1+R2 figure.

alright 3 entry wago with levers if I have one to hand (which I usually do)

I keep wagons in my tester bag ...

but I don’t connect live and neutral at the same time .... to make 100 % sure of continuity of the individual cores ....

Last edited by a moderator: