Best way Hot tub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adie K

Reaction score
Hi there

Our bestway hot tub fuse has just blown and the inside of the fuse space in the plug is all black and like corroded. Can we clean that out and try with a new fuse or do we need a whole new lead ? 

Thanks in advance 

sounds like damp in the plug which would suggest a dodgy installation, or your plug is simply overloaded. Replace plug as a minimum, then consider waterproof socket or similar.

I had no idea that best way sold theses ..... their website is conspicuous be the absence of any information about the electrics 

as others have suggested probably poor quality plugs and / or water..

Is it still under warranty? If so request a repair or return. Even if its out of warranty it would be best to contact them to make them aware of this issue as others might have the same problem.

Is this hot tub supplied from an RCD protected circuit?

Their declared specifications state 2050 watts at 20c however I guess the current draw would be a lot higher when the unit is trying to heat the water initially.

Whats that ?  About 9 A  , a 13A plug should be fine with that  .  As above I'd say water ingress .

Is it a waterproof socket ?

Does it have RCD protection ?    If not don't use it .  

Hi there

Our bestway hot tub fuse has just blown and the inside of the fuse space in the plug is all black and like corroded. Can we clean that out and try with a new fuse or do we need a whole new lead ? 

Thanks in advance 

I am guessing that this plug is a pre-moulded type plug that is fixed to the supply cable and is not removable without cutting the flex? As various trading standards and sales of goods and services laws state that all goods and services sold, must be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality, even if the product goes faulty and does overload the fuse, it should just blow without any major discolouration or corrosion of contacts. So assuming this item was installed in accordance with the manufactures instructions, and complies with all relevant wiring regulations, (BS7671), then I would be getting back onto the manufactures for a free repair or monetary compensation towards a repair. ( the trading standards laws are applicable well after any one year manufactures warranty has elapsed. ) If it was installed to a DIY sub-standard arrangement, then best of luck, as poor quality installation could cause overloads and overheating at plug/socket connection points.

Doc H.

sounds like damp in the plug which would suggest a dodgy installation, or your plug is simply overloaded. Replace plug as a minimum, then consider waterproof socket or similar.

If the socket is close enough to get water in it then best leave the plug off until an electrician takes a look.