domestic outside power supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surrey bloke

Reaction score
hello I am new .    I am not a sparky so not intention of doing the work of a competent person !!!     I was looking around for some guidance and came across this wonderful forum.   

I have a fairly straight forward domestic property.   I am looking to find someone local to install some external lights/external socket/light in detached garage and light/socket in a detached garden workshop.       I have tried to ask one or two local contractors for some ideas .  I also work for a well known transport company and meet many individuals who started out as electricians before getting involved in Fire systems/ air con/security and other disciplines all have different ideas for what I thought was a simple question.   

The questions is regarding where does  the supply come from ?    I have  what looks like a fairly up to date split load consumer unit inside with some space for additional mcbs .   Do I get the electrician to try to use the existing unit or install a much bigger consumer unit  or a separate consumer unit for all the external stuff.    I have to say it would be nice to be able isolate some of the  external stuff without have to crawl under the stairs  every time.

ps is there anyone in SW surrey looking for work ??