CCTV help in Birmingham!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeMe

Reaction score
Hello! I had a Guardian cctv system fitted about 7 years ago by a friend of a friend and suddenly my settings have altered and I can't get it to go back to how it was originally set up! It doesn't seem to be recording anymore and playback is stuck on 3 dates. I downloaded the manual online but it's too complex for me. I'm desperate to get it back to how it was as I rely on it for safety as there's been a few break in recently down my road. I'm in south Birmingham.

It was working perfectly fine until after I saved some recorded footage onto a usb stick a few weeks ago and since then it’s stuck on orange on 3 specific dates and I can’t get it off to see playback on any other dates. Really need someone to come and have a look at it but no companies seem to do this 😔

I’m a bit of a technophobe to be honest, I’ve never messed with the settings since we’ve had it and am too scared to touch it again in case it makes it worse! Really could just do with someone to come in and do it for us but that’s proving difficult 

So who set it up when you originally got it or did it come preset to your requirements or was it just the default settings and nothing has been changed- plug and play? 

A friend of a friend installed it for us and set it all up. We no longer have his contact details and can’t get hold of him at all. We haven’t messed with it at all. We followed the instructions in the manual to get a back up of some footage but since then it’s stopped recording and is stuck on some dates for playback and won’t come off them. We’ve googled the company name but it doesn’t bring anything up either, it’s just some small random company. We need it sorting out ASAP but are just hitting brick walls 😓

We don’t know whether a standard computer tech could come and sort it or whether it needs a cctv person 

If it's a DVR unit there may be an option to self reset every so often. I found my cheap Chinese system wasn't recording so I set it to restart every morning at a set time and it has been fine ever since.

Thank you Sharpend, I did come across this company but the logo is different to the one on the recording box so we’re unsure as to whether it’s the same company. I guess it might be worth emailing them with a picture of our box, just in case? Thank you Tony S, all help is welcomed!

Hi Badger, if we reboot it does it reset the settings to factory settings? We don’t have a clue about this stuff! 😩

I wouldn't have said it should unless there is a software fault but I couldn't guarantee it when you have power cuts your DVR will get rebooted anyway so your settings should stay the same sound to me like the DVR software has crashed imho 

Ah no! We really need someone to come out but it doesn’t seem likely any company will. We’re stuck in limbo really 😞

Have you actually tried switching off at the wall, leave for a minute or two have a brew then switch back on. 

As with most electrical/electronic items they are susceptible to crashing, a slight spike in voltage etc, most will reboot and be fine. 

This is all the guys are saying. I’m sure your sky box (if you have one) has had to be switched off and on at some point to reset it, I know mine has. Well that’s all you are doing with the dvr?? 

If you switch it off and on again you have nothing to loose.

But to be honest if its 7 years old its time for a new hard drive, that said if its a 4 channel dvr, you can get a new one with 1TB hard drive for £80 or an 8 channel DVR for £90

Give it a go MeMe  , but pull the plug out , not just switch off.   Worth a try .   Sounding like a new one though.  

My PC  occasionally will refuse to be connected to the internet .   I did the lot,  advice from BT ,   from Microsoft ,  a local computer guy  etc.  It was down for a week , reset the hub ,  replaced the cable between hub & PC   ,  ( that was BT's advice)    

Then I mentioned it to my cousin's wife .

Switch it of & back on  she says .      I've done that 500 times ,  is'nt that just a joke ?

No, she says , pull the power plug out and leave it a few minutes . 

She was right it works every time ,  its like it's stuck in a loop ....theres an icon showing internet connection and it goes off & thats it , nothing works except this.