Phase rotation meter ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strangely I've never owned one  but just wondering .

If you were on a job with a new supply , say,   and the DNO were there  using their phase rotation meter  ..and they stated that the supply was indeed  L1...L2...L3    ( or RYB to me)  and the phase direction was clockwise ...and I then connected a small  3 ph motor  which ran clockwise,     marked the direction of spin on it .... have I made myself a  Phase Rotation Meter. ?   

Can't see why not as long as it has the right protection .      

I think the best ones are thise that you connect to a dead/off supply motor, spin shaft and it tells you rotation!

screw compressors really REALLY dont like reverse polarity, they sulk and go moody in a sort of ' phuttt BANG shear/snap ' sort of way.

the better ones have a reverse rotation safety interlock

crew compressors really REALLY dont like reverse polarity, they sulk and go moody in a sort of ' phuttt BANG shear/snap ' sort of way.

I know , I've always been wary of them .    The old fashioned ones ...I think ...as long as the piston goes up & down thy're fine . 

I've had people say ...for years now....  if you connect the motor L1 L2 L3    to A B C   or 123   or L to R    it will run the correct way  :C  so you should always wire in phase colours.

There are two things wrong with that ....(a)   You don't know which way the machine has to turn   & (b)    if the motor is fitted  arse about face  it'll turn the other way . 

I always mark rotation if I'm disconnecting   or request that someone does it 

Some machines appear to be OK  on re-connection  but you find..say...a lube pump runs backwards .  

Last edited by a moderator:
The foreman of a gang of contractors working on a new plant confidently told me every drive on the plant would run in the right direction. I hadn’t the heart to tell him the entire works was BYR, it was a hangover from the days when we had our own power stations. He wanted to swap the incoming feeds to six MCC panels. I wouldn’t let him, each drive had to be swapped at the motor.

There is (or was), some difference in phase rotation conventions between Germany and UK;  

It was either the way they are labelled or measured, I can't remember details fully but it did lead to some embarrassment when we were both designing parts of the same aircraft.

Beware if dealing with imported gear. 

The Greater Belfast area is in reverse compared to the rest of the province.

Aren't the inter country links DC?
They are, he's just a bit simple, pay no attention, let him have his moment. 😌

I also remember being told that parts of Belfast City centre still has the DC supply in operation.

The NIE wanted to abandon it but shops didn't want to replace lift systems etc.

Because they would be out of sync if they were AC.

It would be like crossing two phases.

I have to say, I’ve never used a phase rotation meter. So long as the phase colours are maintained throughout the works, what does it matter?

All our plant were originally 550V BYR. All well and good until our genius engineer decided that new plants using this new fangled 433V should be RYB. I got involved when a plant was converted from 550V to 433V and it should be BYR to fit in with the existing plant.

Things went from bad to worse when I installed a new switchboard fed from two plants RYB and BYR supplies. The incoming section just looked so wrong.

Can't see why not as long as it has the right protection .      

I think the best ones are thise that you connect to a dead/off supply motor, spin shaft and it tells you rotation!

screw compressors really REALLY dont like reverse polarity, they sulk and go moody in a sort of ' phuttt BANG shear/snap ' sort of way.

these you mean, I have one and they are not too bad for the money.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03121/phase-rotation-tester/dp/IN07441?st=phase rotation tester

Latest posts