RCCD question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunjiboy

Reaction score
Hi I hope this is the right place to ask.

I recently had an outbuilding extension wired by an electrician who gave it a part P certification. 

There is a new fuse box on a spur in the building with an RCCD for the sockets and one for the lights. 

Back at the main fuse box the spur is fused and goes through the RCCD for the main house.

The issue is that of plugging anything in a socket in the out building mostly blows the socket RCCD in the out building and the house. 

It's then very difficult to get either RCCD to stay on. Ie turn the one in the outbuilding on the RCCD in the house trips and visa versa. 

So I can use the lights but not the sockets.

I'm going to get the electrician back but could I ask is having 2 RCCDs in 'series' a good thing or does it sound like something else more basic with the wiring?

Thanks 

B

Hi thanks for the answers. What is an EIC? A certificate? Thank you.

The electrician is away for a week. Does anyone know anybody who might be able to take a look? Thanks. (North Merseyside) B

Hi thanks for the answers. What is an EIC? A certificate? Thank you.

The electrician is away for a week. Does anyone know anybody who might be able to take a look? Thanks. (North Merseyside) B

With new installation work in England, you should have an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) which confirms the changes to the installation, the new circuits(s) and the new fuseboard and its new circuits, - typically between 7 and 10 pages long

And then you should have a Part P certificate

Given this is in an outbuilding, could you not wait until said spark returns?

temples in 7671 are 5 pages... cant see you needing additional pages for a basic installation in a house

Temples ...............?

The software I use generates a document of 7 pages ......... and in this case there must be a main board and a sub board, so that's going to add at least 1 page, 2 if its split off the main tails..

As has been said the document(s) that would confirm the electrical safety aspect would be either a Minor Works Certificate or an Electrical Installation certificate.  (dependant upon the size/complexity of the alteration). Whichever one is applicable they will have somewhere on it, a signed declaration with your contractors name & address, confirming that they state the work has been designed installed and tested in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations. This is required for the majority of electrical alterations. in addition some work requires a Part P building regulations certificate. If you haven't had the correct electrical certificate issued I would guess the work has not been fully tested and could have numerous possible problems causing your symptoms.  If you do have full test certificates, that are accurate and correct, I would guess your fault is due to an appliance you have got plugged in somewhere.

Doc H.

Latest posts