Wheel Power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehoven

Reaction score
Hello.

I was wanting to start a project in which I build a longboard that generates power while riding. My idea is to harvest the kinetic energy of the wheel to power a battery. What can I do to consistently provide energy to a battery that will fit under a longboard? I would like to be able to use power from the battery while at the same time charging it. 

Thanks!

Please send any diagrams, equations or links to products.

Has this not already been done  Nathoven ?     Or am I thinking of the hoverboard in Back to the Future  6 ? :tongueincheek    Now that was some invention . 

May I suggest a flywheel  ,  as powering a battery charger  with be slowing the board down , thus losing  energy .      

Care to elaborate on your intentions?

A simple dynamo could be enough? 
Like the old Lucas dynamo on a bicycle ,  rubbing on the tyre. ?   

Sorry if I was not clear.

Here is my idea in FULL detail. Sorry if it is vague, but I know very little about electronics.

I would like to be able to power an electric longboard (a longboard that is pretty much a ridable rc car) with almost no carbon footprint. I would do this by gaining kinetic energy from a wheel, maybe using a gearbox to gain more rotation and easier spinning of the wheel, and power a battery. This battery powers the electric longboard. Pretty much, I need to be able to generate more electricity than lost.

Thanks for all of the help!

I'm guessing that if you introduce gearboxes , wheels , batteries whatever power you develop with one leg  scooting  will be used up by  all the extra stuff you're adding to the board ,  only freewheeling downhill will have any effect .

Indeed.

Think the OP is on about regenerative braking on an electric skateboard?°
Oh    well  time for bed said Zebadee ! 

Sorry if I was not clear.

Here is my idea in FULL detail. Sorry if it is vague, but I know very little about electronics.

I would like to be able to power an electric longboard (a longboard that is pretty much a ridable rc car) with almost no carbon footprint. I would do this by gaining kinetic energy from a wheel, maybe using a gearbox to gain more rotation and easier spinning of the wheel, and power a battery. This battery powers the electric longboard. Pretty much, I need to be able to generate more electricity than lost.

Thanks for all of the help!

You can never generate more anything from something without losses. Unless you have invented the frictionless motor that never generates any heat whilst rotating. (But I did already know what a long board is, often used by the surfers and the like whilst on dry land.)

Doc H. 

So you are saying that the weight will add way too much friction for this idea to work?

What if I harvest energy from two wheels to power one? I understand the laws of energy and that some will be lost through heat and other occurences.

Latest posts