Perpetual motion Huh!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a 16 yr old apprenti   we were working on some high frequency furnaces .  The power came from a huge  three phase motor directly coupled to a high frequency generator ,  made a right high pitched  row  as I remember  .  The first thing I thought of  was why not  stand a soundproof screen in front of set  .   The second thing  was ,  as I announced to  the hairy arsed electricians  gathered therin ...... if that 440V  motor was coupled to a  440V  generator instead of a high frequency one  ...once it was running you switch off the motor & switch the  generator output  back to the motor  ...and it will run forever  !!!!    :C

Oh how they laughed  !!

You know me too well Doc  ...yes it triggered an ancient memory.  

And now its triggered another ancient memory .       The High frequency furnace I mentioned  had a number of segments that the  steel products passed through ...each segment was protected by a  thermal  link  , which was basically a wire within  porcelain beads , withdrawable ,  and made of gold  for it's melting point .   

Ah well  when , like me ,  you moved in the upper class circles of  cold extrusion pressworks   only golden fusewire was good enough  .   Whether it was an alloy I have no idea ,  I was only 16 ,  I know it was locked away somewhere .  Just something that stuck in my mind . 

They made crank shafts , cam shafts, piston rods , rear axel gears , prop shafts , half shafts  in the hot forging part   and pressed out cold in one action were telescopic forks  and the casings for Lucas  generators & starter motors .

Apparently its all in India now.  :C  

Antimonial lead fuse wire went from 1A to 5A in ¼A increments, 5A = 1600A. If it blows it will open the LV OCB. It used to make me very twitchy reclosing the DMO breaker, slam it in and run!

I’ve managed to recover most of my stuff from PhotoBucket so I think a new section about switchgear in Knowledge base is in order.

Antimonial lead fuse wire went from 1A to 5A in ¼A increments, 5A = 1600A. If it blows it will open the LV OCB. It used to make me very twitchy reclosing the DMO breaker, slam it in and run!

I’ve managed to recover most of my stuff from PhotoBucket so I think a new section about switchgear in Knowledge base is in order.

Have you still got the copy of the switch gear thread I put together? Feel free to use the pictures etc from it. 

Unfortunately I didn’t recover any of them from EB, sorry.

Some of the older stuff I’ve got a fair amount of info on. Reyrolle I’ve got the company history, Ottermill now have a separate company doing referb work, same with Ellison ACB’s. Allen West is now Allen West (Brighton).

Ellison are the most unhelpful bunch I’ve ever dealt with, not interested unless you want a new ACB.