Here is a brilliant film if you like mechanical things!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Apprentii   , I love those voice over accents from yesteryear too.  

I started work at a place that made the forgiings & the pressworks & the cold extrusions  for the motor industry  , mainly the Austin  which was identical to Morris  at the time  , just badged up as Austin , Morris , Riley , Wolesley  &   Joseph Lucas Electric  

The forgings went by narrowboat ...believe it or not ... along the Birmingham /Fazeley  Canal  to Hardy Spicer for machining  etc.     We used to go with them sometimes on the pretext of checking the  starter motor  & dynamo on the tug .

I have a picture of myself sitting on the tug  somewhere ....whether I embarrass  myself by posting it is another matter . 

The narrowboat carried about a million times the weight of a lorry.    

Long time since I’ve worked on a Morris A series engine, it was in a Healy Sprite. The most sodding awkward thing to work on. A new heater matrix, engine out, change the distributor dive, engine out.

It belonged to an old friend of mine. First time we took it out for a run a problem soon appeared. We got in the car OK, could we get out, no chance! We’re both tall, he was 22 stone and I was 17 stone. We pulled up at a pub, both doors opened and we rolled out sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Apprentii   , I love those voice over accents from yesteryear too.  

I started work at a place that made the forgiings & the pressworks & the cold extrusions  for the motor industry  , mainly the Austin  which was identical to Morris  at the time  , just badged up as Austin , Morris , Riley , Wolesley  &   Joseph Lucas Electric  

The forgings went by narrowboat ...believe it or not ... along the Birmingham /Fazeley  Canal  to Hardy Spicer for machining  etc.     We used to go with them sometimes on the pretext of checking the  starter motor  & dynamo on the tug .

I have a picture of myself sitting on the tug  somewhere ....whether I embarrass  myself by posting it is another matter . 

The narrowboat carried about a million times the weight of a lorry.    
I found this of the loading deck , not very good ,  a hoist swung out over the boat to load stillages.   If I remember correctly the building in the distance  would be the old GEC   Expelair  factory  

Scan0001 (2).jpg