What is this contraption.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can release the glass cover by lifting the spring clip visible top and bottom.

The lamp tube behind is a fragile quartz glass tube again held by spring pressure.

When you fit the new one don't touch it with bare hands or your fingerprints will reduce the life.

Incidentally, if your picture is the right way up the fitting is wrong. I'm almost sure that type should be used horizontally. 

As above ...I'd say there is a tungsten halogen double ended lamp in there .  Looks like its shattered .   Possibly 200 watts  or even higher .  I'd replace the whole thing  to be honest , with an energy saving type .  

Also , if you  do replace the lamp ,  make sure the power is OFF to the fitting  because if it lights up while you're holding it it'll take the skin off  your fingers. 

Actually   , on second thoughts  ... buy an LED  replacement , they are available .  

The intended replacement lamp would be a 400 W 118 mm R7s linear halogen lamp, the fitting says 500W but this is the even less efficient version.

Unless you really need that level of brightness then go for at most a 200W lamp or less but ensure it is 118mm not 78mm,  preferably use a 10W or so LED replacement version where you would no longer need to use the glass shield but the brightness would be less than the 400W halogens.

Thank you to those of you who answered sensibly. I guess the tagline for the website should be mostly friendly with a few bellends. 

Appreciated guys. 

Thank you to those of you who answered sensibly. I guess the tagline for the website should be mostly friendly with a few bellends. 

Appreciated guys. 

Not clear how you justify your comment? Possibly you are expecting too much assistance from a website where you are under no obligation to pay anything for the service of numerous members offering their advice and guidance free of charge?

Doc H.