DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
MattBot

Main Relay for automation

MattBot

Hello, 

I'm looking to automatically turn on a dust extractor when a table saw is powered, the table saw has a push button start so I can just use a switch to power them both.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a box with a 2 plug sockets and a mains lead with a relay in-between.

If this is a terrible idea could someone point me in a better direction?

If a relay would work, could someone give me an idea of what relay I'd need?

binky

is this domestic or more industrial scale? If domestic, you can buy hoovers with a socket to power the appliance. When you switch appliance on it turns the hoover on automatically

Tony S

If industrial it is normal to start the dust extraction first.

Personally I would use a vacuum switch in the saw start circuit.

Sidewinder

Remember if it’s a place of work/business, then it must meet the Supply of Machiney Safety Regulations, which will require a lot more than just sticking a switch in! 😱

Geoff1946

I suspect from the original posting mentioning plugs, that this is a domestic, (DIY workshop) rather than an industrial set up.

If that's correct then I recommend using a "shop-vac" type vacuum cleaner with a socket intended for this application.

I have one which came from either Aldi or Lidl quite cheaply and is still good after being used and abused in my garage for several years.

It has a current sensor relay within which "sees" the load of the saw being switched on and starts the vac motor. It also runs on for about half a minute or so after the saw is switched off. It probably isn't as good as a proper dust collector system, not least in terms of capacity, but I find it adequate for my limited use.

roys

That reminds me, I must buy one of those wee vac systems for my wee workshop, not been to Aldi's for a while, will need to keep my eye on their web page to see when they have them back in.

Andy™

i just use the on/off switch on the dust extractor... turn that on before whatever im using then off afterwards