Fan isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does a fan with an integral pull cord for its only  on-off operation (no timers, stats ect) need an isolator ?

Is it any different to a wall light with a integral pull cord.

Asking this to see the  numerous different replies & opinions .

Well an isolator often makes maintenance and cleaning easier when you don't have to do it in the dark. 

I've heard said that some landlords don't like them because tenants turn them off for silence  and the property consequently suffers condensation.

Integral pullcord won't provide downstream isolation.

I've heard said that some landlords don't like them because tenants turn them off for silence  and the property consequently suffers condensation.

I once had a whole block where they'd paid someone £10 to disconnect their new humidistat fans which "went on all by themselves".

Needless to say all their ceilings were black with mould!

Isolator are especially important in situations where bathrooms are adjacent to bedrooms, so they can be switched off at night 

I recall there being guidance in the building regs regarding fans and rooms without windows ....

I always took it  as  the   "  Local isolation  of an appliance "  reg.    

It seemed to start with  fitting  a spur unit   which often switched the L & N   but  not the  switched trigger wire,   come across loads of those . 

Then it came to pass that the spur isolated the lighting & the fan .  

Then someone came up with a 3 pole switch  .  

I think you need to look up Codes of best practice  ,  pretty sure theres nothing in the Regs .

As for me , I fit the 3 pole switch , I don't worry about a fuse for the fan if its off the lighting circuit .    

We have discussed this before, and nobody has shown me where it says we have to fit a fan isolator anyway.

We have & there are many places in the regs  such as 537.3.1.1 + many many more but one can always argue the main switch covers all these types of regs. Even so these regs are due to remote starting. If the fan can only be operated by its integral switch  is it any different to a wall light with a switch 

Does anyone have BS EN 60204, as i wonder if a 100mm bathroom fan falls under that remit ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Isolator are especially important in situations where bathrooms are adjacent to bedrooms, so they can be switched off at night 

I recall there being guidance in the building regs regarding fans and rooms without windows ....
I have  today studied that chapter and it does not mention isolation. Its main concern is if there is natural light, the luminaire will not be turned on so the fan wont, so in those cases a sensor of some sort is needed

We have & there are many places in the regs  such as 537.3.1.1 + many many more but one can always argue the main switch covers all these types of regs. Even so these regs are due to remote starting. If the fan can only be operated by its integral switch  is it any different to a wall light with a switch 

Does anyone have BS EN 60204, as i wonder if a 100mm bathroom fan falls under that remit ? 
@Sidewinder Would be the one to ask about 60204.

not covered by 60204

scope

This part of IEC 60204 applies to the application of electrical, electronic and programmable
electronic equipment and systems to machines not portable by hand while working, including
a group of machines working together in a co-ordinated manner

I have always believed this is a 60204 reg to have local isolation for a big AC motor to stop the guy replacing a drive belt when  it starts automatically from losing his arm, and has been wrongly applied to a poxy bathroom fan that is not capable of doing any real harm. 

I have always believed this is a 60204 reg to have local isolation for a big AC motor to stop the guy replacing a drive belt when  it starts automatically from losing his arm, and has been wrongly applied to a poxy bathroom fan that is not capable of doing any real harm. 

If that is correct,  does a fan operated only by its integral pullcord need an isolator, a wall light with its own pull cord does not ?

If that is correct,  does a fan operated only by its integral pullcord need an isolator, a wall light with its own pull cord does not ?
Personally I would not fit one.

But I am against fan isolators at all.  The "working in the dark" argument does not cut the mustard with me either, there are ways of working in the dark, otherwise how would you change a loop at light bathroom light fitting?

I agree with ProDave - I've fitted hundreds of bathroom fans (and loft lights) working by new fangled battery LED candle replacements.  It's a non-problem in a domestic environment - it may be slightly inconvenient for the householder, but it's a welcome relief turning off carp on TV like Jeremy Kyle or Judge Rinder 😂

As for switching off for regular cleaning, it's up there with cleaning behind the cooker.  Strange that I always seem to arrive the week before they normally do that...