3Ø 100amp supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahul Patel

Reaction score
Hi 

I am planning to convert an old office building with 3Ø 100amp supply into 14 self contained student studios (approximately 20 sqm)

Each studio will only have 2 electric heaters, 2 lights, 10 double sockets. The hot water will be gas heated. 

I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me if the current 3 phase, 100amp supply be enough to power 14 units? 

Your help is much appreciated 

Thanks

You need to talk to the electrician doing the work as this work is almost certainly notifiable to Building Control

are you reselling the electric or is it in with the rent?

it will need a lot more than you have listed as I assume this is to be shared facilities i.e. Cooking/bathing?  If so it comes under HMO and will,also need

escape lighting

Approved Fire alarm system on circs and individual apartments 

Part P

possibly Part M

possibly Part L

landlords supply

....and that's without looking at it

Self contained studios is a bedsit with separate bedroom therefore all units will have scope for own appliances, own bathing etc. 

Once again little detail expecting big answer? 

Last edited by a moderator:
A job like that needs to be designed properly   , either by your contractor or A.N.Other  .    

You don't just do that sort of job on the back of an envelope   with a couple  of electrician's mates  from darn the  battle cruiser 

Relying on "internet" advice could be an expensive mistake

My recommendation is to get a price from the DNO to upgrade the incoming supply - then you can build it into your costings .

But beware, it may take a few weeks for them to come out, then if you go ahead there will be a delay in in actually happening..

Hope this helps

well to make sure its adequate you could use a logic relay and some large contactors.

put 5 studios per phase (communal areas takes the last space on L3)

set a contactor so that each studio receives power for 2 minutes every 10 minutes, alternating between studio's. there you go, 100a available per studio. fit as many heaters as you want.