Shower pump problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilinbal

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently plumbed in a salamander rt50 1.5bar pump. Because I can't alter existing pipework it has to operate not only the shower but the kitchen hot tap & basin hot tap. Pump is in loft over a meter below cold tank. Have taken hot feed off top of cylinder & cut pipe feeding rest of house lower down & elbowed into that. Cold is straight forward. All worked well then 3 days in shower only works when a hot tap is turned on at same time. 

Any ideas please

Cheers

So you have a vented hot water cylinder  which is below the pump, and the water has to flow upwards to the pump then down to the shower and taps?  

(Have I got that right?)   

If so I suspect that air from the cylinder is going into the loop so formed instead of going up the "expansion" vent. Think of a syphon with an air bubble in it.

The shower then doesn't  have enough pull to break that airlock, but when a tap is opened lower down the water remaining in the pipe to that tap will pull through a supply to switch on the pump flow sensor.   (Only a guess but I would almost bet on it)

The best fix is to relocate the pump below the top of the HWC.