hotpoint twin oven problem DH53 S

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans

Reaction score
Hello, The above oven has a problem with the top oven/ grille. I have removed the twin element and checked this and found it to be OK. The grille works fine but the top oven does not.

I should say this cooker lives 25 miles away in daughters house so any replies may be slow. There are no obvious signs of overheating around the switch. I changed the lower main oven element and this is fine.

I just wondered if there is a common fault with this cooker. I am a home electrician with ohms meter etc.  If this is a board fault then I will leave things alone as i believe the engineers just change these.

Any help/ advice would be very welcome.

Don't know your model, but suggestions to check:

Thermostat. There will be a thermostat in circuit when OVEN is selected, and not for GRILL. Check this as they have a hard life, even when not in use, with the sensor bulb frequently located close to the grill element.

Another element. Top ovens (well mine at least) have a bottom element as well as using the grill element. It just might be switched in series with the grill element in oven mode, in which case its failure would stop the whole from working.

Look for overheated connections too, as the push on terminals can burn out whilst leaving the wire still attached by the insulation only.

Only guesses, mind, no promises!

Thermostat will be first check. Switch looked complicated. There is a circulator fan attached to to top casing. I did not see any provision for airflow in the plinth. Next visit Thursday I will take out the unit and try to check the circuit. At the worst she will have grille and main fan oven working. The top oven did not work for very long she said. I may provide some air flow also. Thanks