Theres always something you've not see before.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young couple move in  four doors up the road ,  after a few weeks he asks me to look  at the lights  ....every time the doorbell  is rung  , the lights flicker   :C

I'm thinking WTGrape  !   Is the doorbell  240V  connected to the lights ?   Whats going on ?    

Sure enough ,  press the bell ,  lights do a flicker sequence .     I'm still bemused when he says  Oh theres a box in this cupboard , dunno what it is , can you disconnect it . 

It turned out ,  the previous owner was stone deaf ,  the box was a panel with the lighting circuits passing through  and the 12V  bell was activating a trembler relay for the lights .  

Fitted by Age Concern or someone .

As always , I kept it for the next 10 years  on the  "  This 'll come in useful  principle "      but like many things , it never did.    

seen them before. there's usually a switch on them for day & night mode. through the day, it turns the circuit off, you then turn on all light switches. press the bell and the lights come on for a few seconds