New and in need of help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshwas

Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am looking for some advice on an issue i am having. I looked to replace the main light in my bedroom, this is a two way switch (one of the switches is a pulley like a bathroom). I took a photo of the wiring but then stupidly took the red sheath off the switch wire, although that seems to be the lest of my issues. In the mean time i removed the pulley switch and did not take a photo, although put the yellow 'com' back into 'com' and then on the back of the switch i have two options '2way' and '3way'. 

So, i wired the rose back to how it was previously, trying the 3 black wires in turn. Nothing happened on any of these. I then swapped the two cable over in the pulley switch. The three black cables gave the following issues: 1-the fuse tripped, 2-the light turns on but will not turn off, 3-the light switch works but it also operates the landing lights. 

I can only think that i have not wired the pulley switch correctly, or that i have disturbed the wiring in the loft.

Is there a way to just remove the pulley switch from the system. 

Any help would be greatly received.

kind Regards,

Josh

thank you for your reply. so at ceiling rose there are 3 cables, each with red. black and earth. As well as the two cables from the light fitting. I grouped the 3 red, 2 black with neutral and 1 black with live (i had to try each of the black wires).The main switch i have not touched, the pull switch has a yellow, red and blue. I put the yellow in the com, and then have tried the red and blue each way round.

Have a look at the wiring in the main switch there should be a black and red core cable and the non pull cord end of the yellow, red and blue cored cable.  Note the terminals used for the yellow, red and blue cores at the main switch and match them in the pull cord switch.  e.g. yellow com, red L1, blue L2; at the pull cord put yellow into com, red into 2 way and blue into 3 way.  This should be then correct switching.

The operation of swapping cores at the ceiling rose is not a good technique, with the power OFF you should identify which black core has very low continuity to the three reds when a switch is operated and no continuity or at least hundreds or ohms when the switch is off.  (probably your middle (2) choice) This one should be connected to the light fitting live core on its own.

Do not take risks, do not work on it whilst it is powered, get help if you are unsure.