Neighbours main supply comes through my property

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wod

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but hoping someone may have the answers. I have recently purchased a property and the basement has my electricity meter on the side wall of the property. From the incoming main, there is also another supply to my adjoining neighbour's property, so the cable for that supply, is attached to my floor joists across the entire width of my property, it then drops down the dividing wall four feet or so and goes through the wall into my neighbours property. Firstly I am not particularly comfortable with this & secondly I am wanting to convert the basement at some point, so whilst it could be worked around, I don't want it hidden for obvious safety reasons. My question essentially boils down to: if I want this moving, who is responsible, who do I call, who pays etc? and is this an accepted method of supplying a property (at some point my house was owned by a trust that also still owns my neighbour's property, so I assume this was possibly a cost cutting method). 

Thanks.

DNO's property. if you want it moved then you pay

its not done these days (each property would have its own feed from the street) but it was very common years ago. they are usually back to back though

Not only might it cost a lot to do, you will need to wait for a site visit, then again for it to happen ...... plus your neighbour will need to be involved and a domestic spark and the icing on the cake, maybe the neighbours  suppliers meter company...

yup , have fun

Yes ... as Andy says ...  its common enough  and today they 'd never do it .  They like a designated supply to each property .    

All the houses where I live  have one cable to every other house  and joint the other one from it .   

Bit  of a pain with it running across your cellar  though .    Again as Andy says....  I can't see them doing it for free  , there'll be a loophole  to say if you want it moved , you'd have to pay. 

In the region of £1500.00   easily  I'd think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only might it cost a lot to do, you will need to wait for a site visit, then again for it to happen ...... plus your neighbour will need to be involved and a domestic spark and the icing on the cake, maybe the neighbours  suppliers meter company...

yup , have fun

why would you need a domestic spark when the DNO would be moving their own cable and not doing anything to the house electrics

Have a VERY careful look at it. See if you can find anything wrong, any damage to the cable, any sign of heat damage.  There is just a slim chance if you can find a fault with it then on safety grounds you might persuade the DNO to install a separate supply free of charge.

UKPN want to get rid of loop in loop out supplies. You can ask and you may be surprised.

Somewhere in this black hole of a computer I’ve got UKPN’s policy note regarding these supplies. What sticks in my mind is undeclared wayleaves.

A h  !  The dreaded wayleaves    ( the only place I ever see that phrase  is on these supply contracts)     

Just a thought on this  ....when I was talking to the guys from Western Power  I noted they said  they were not supposed to  carry out any work iINSIDE  the property .  

I also remember from another job ,  they  were not allowed to work on the  supply  head  & meters  which were at ceiling height  in a house converted to flats  .  Ceiling at 8ft  :C

You could request seeing the contract that covers their cable & your  cellar   but you will almost certainly find it will be tied up as tight as a drum .  But its worth a try . 

Last edited by a moderator: