English Electric Motor help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
As usual I will bow down to many years of experience on this site.

My father in law has found a replacement motor for his milling machine, runs up fine on the bench however will not run under load when mounted to the machine.

He's asked me to look for some new condensers for him but I seem to be drawing a blank. 

Motor is English Electric single phase reversible motor 1/2 horse power rated at 3.7 amps FLC.

It has two condensers fitted that he's trying to source replacements for, pictures below. Only information he has it what is written on them.

Suppressor 

335/16.A4

B.S.S. 1697 (could be B.8.8.)

IMG_1810.JPG  IMG_1811.JPG

I haven't seen the motor which he bought off a car boot bench a few weeks ago, it could well be completely knackered but he wants to try a couple of easy fixes first.

The motor works with no load, but will not spin up when attached to the gearbox with no tooling fitted.

So best course of action would be a good strip and clean to start with?

Sorry, I forgot to update the thread. Checked the motor out, good IR results and capacitors tested fine but high resistance on the windings.

The motor would start after a 1/2 second delay but could stop it with my fingers. Nice and clean, good bearings etc, had very little use.

Has been weighed in with the scrappy as it was a freebie.

Now looking for a single phase 1 HP motor if anyone has one lying around...

Have you checked the cost of rewinding the original one?  (Too late for the one you scrapped though!)
it's my father-in-laws, he got it at a boot sale so would have paid pennies for it. I would have told me but I probably glazed over a bit, nice bloke but can waffle on a tad...

It's for a milling machine he has, the machine is over 80 years old and has been converted from a line shaft set up, TBH the motor he had was 1/2 HP so would have struggled a bit.

it's my father-in-laws, he got it at a boot sale so would have paid pennies for it. I would have told me but I probably glazed over a bit, nice bloke but can waffle on a tad...

It's for a milling machine he has, the machine is over 80 years old and has been converted from a line shaft set up, TBH the motor he had was 1/2 HP so would have struggled a bit.

A good man for him to talk to is GlennSparks. He's got quite a collection of old machine tools including some line shafting.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good man for him to talk to is GlennSparks. He's got quite a collection of old machine tools including some line shafting.
Good point, I called in to see him a few months ago and look at his collection. I'll call him later.