Hard Wired Single oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasaVerde

Reaction score
Evening All,

wonder if anybody can  clarify the following for me?

I have a hard wired oven on a dedicated 40a supply, connected via a Cooker Switch.

The oven has packed in. I am looking to buy this oven 

Belling BI60FP Built In Electric Single Oven. it has the following details

Comes with Plug/Cable No

Electrical Connection 1.905 KW

Fuse Rating13 amps

Power Requirements/Requires Plug/Cable Attaching By An Electrician

So this needs a 13 amp fuse; not sure if it also needs cable. 

I just need confirmation that I cannot hard wire this and it must be wired to a plug and then connected to a socket or maybe connect it to a 13amp fuse connection unit?

If my thinking is correct then can i connect  the main current cable (from the existing oven ) to a socket or to the 13 amp Fuse connection unit  to use with new oven ?

If the new oven needs a cable, is 1.5 m twin & earth sufficient for the plug connection or do i need a thicker cable?

Any information would be most gratefully welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Its often said that if you cut the plug off an appliance   you negate the guarantee  ,  I'd go for connecting a 13A socket  to the cooker outlet  if that is possible .  Then just plug it in .    I'd guess its fan assisted and they get the power down to 2KW   usually. 

It sounds like  your leaflet  covers both  possibilities  of a plug in or a hard wired connection ,  which doesn't help you a lot really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this, appreciated

Yes when they say this "Power Requirements/Requires Plug/Cable Attaching By An Electrician" and then say it needs 13 amp, i can only assume that its needs a wire connecting to the actual oven with the other end connected to a Plug. If it stated 16 amp then i would know  that its hard wired on a dedicated 40 amp circuit connected via the cooker switch.

40A is one hell of a large supply for just an oven.  guess is used to feed an all on one cooker (oven and hob)

Wait until you actually get the oven. If it has a flex and a plug, then just fit a 13A socket in place of the cooker connection plate.

Latest posts