Interchangeable MCB'S RCD'S Etc ( What Fits? )

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
I thought i would be a good idea to get a list going of all the different mcbs that will fit different cu's

Hager board.........steeple + volex

when i have good list i will coallate them and pass it on to admin to host a page

Last edited by a moderator:
Square D KQ Board - Sod All Drives me mad, loads installed round here, struggle to get anything other than common MCBs
If you are removing an existing device on these then you can take off the prongs and fit them to your new device, a lot of makes fit that way

But

If you are fitting a new device then it has to be square D because of the prong situation

I pick up rcbo's and mcbs off the shelf here in west midlands

Great idea Theo ! There are a couple of makes which are identical , wish I could remember which they are now.

Crabtree starbreaker, obviously matches sod all.

And Fedral Electric matches sod all and are now as rare as rocking horse poo.

Carl,in that case I got the code wrong, must be SO? The ones that clip onto a round bar rather din rail
Ha

You must be talking about the old QO range, you are right, i can get a few bits for them but as they are obselete i have found myself replacing the whole board, believe me nothing matches those ones

?:|

Great idea Theo ! There are a couple of makes which are identical , wish I could remember which they are now.Crabtree starbreaker, obviously matches sod all.

I recently fitted mem MCH range into a starbreaker board ( 3 phase ) or the bill talisman plus is the same thing

if its the starbreaker single phase then nothing matches as they plug into the busbar

Ha You must be talking about the old QO range, you are right, i can get a few bits for them but as they are obselete i have found myself replacing the whole board, believe me nothing matches those ones

?:|
That's the ones, I have some in my box of miscellaneous salvaged MCBs, but never the right ones inevitably.

Had a PIR this week with a mis-match between the MCB and cable (both well capable of carrying the load) unable to get a smaller MCB, had to uprate the cable, now have a 3 phase 32A MCB and 4mm2 3 Core SWA feeding a starter panel for a 0.75kW motor! - obviously the motor protection is provided in the starter.

I thought i would be a good idea to get a list going of all the different mcbs that will fit different cu'sHager board.........steeple + volex

when i have good list i will coallate them and pass it on to admin to host a page
I will have a dig around and let you know which ones I have used, I will include any ammendments I have made to the designs to fit and pm you the results.

Good idea would be a very usefull guide.

I recently fitted mem MCH range into a starbreaker board ( 3 phase ) or the bill talisman plus is the same thingif its the starbreaker single phase then nothing matches as they plug into the busbar
I thought the Crabtree 3 phase boards were "Loadstar" and not "Starbreaker",, although they do a single phase "loadstar" board as well.....

CPN - Chint - MCG - Contactum - Hager(??)

I think you can take the spade connector off a KQ breaker and fit it to a QO board (might have that the wrong way round)

I thought the Crabtree 3 phase boards were "Loadstar" and not "Starbreaker",, although they do a single phase "loadstar" board as well.....CPN - Chint - MCG - Contactum - Hager(??)

I think you can take the spade connector off a KQ breaker and fit it to a QO board (might have that the wrong way round)
Now this is where it gets mixed up

Square D made a board called QO range, this has a circular clip which clips onto a rail.They made this board obselete and replaced it with KQ which has the push in prongs.

Then they made a consumer unit range called QO which also uses the KQ style push in prong system but the mbcs were b type

Then they made consumer units in the Domae range, these are the same mcbs as the prong type, but you need to remove the prongs first

Nothing is interchangeable from the old QO type, but the current ones can be mixed, taking into account the prong system

I reckon that Theoryspark is going to earn a lot of Scoobs for this.

And the same for Green-Hornet for his thread. :D

Great idea Theo ! There are a couple of makes which are identical , wish I could remember which they are now.Crabtree starbreaker, obviously matches sod all.

Crabtree Loadstar...... GE ( General Electric)....... and Denman's Steeple brand are identical .

Crabtree Loadstar...... GE ( General Electric)....... and Denman's Steeple brand are identical .
Crabtree Loadstar is almost identical to Wylex. the breakers are slightly different (Wylex will fit 2 busbar designs (standard removable and fixed bar). and crabtree will only fit standard removable). but for most board, they will work either way

Actually this is one of my Grumpy old men gripes . If you look at the early MCBs they are all vastly different designs, nothing like each other, but when the modern style appeared the IEE or somebody should have insisted that the BS applied to them also made them interchangable. They went halfway by making them all dinrail mounted but the bottom terminals are different so they don't fit the live rail. Pain in the buttress.!!

With the odd differences as with C/tree Starbtreaker would be a different BS number.

How much time is wasted by the industry in locating a rogue MCB. Each maker would still make their profit with their brand name on the MCB.