DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
parmageddon

Automatic Gates cable question

Question

parmageddon

Hi all,

Recently had a guy some and install (atleast partially so far) some automation for my gates on my front drive.

He had to come in the day while I was at work, on my return to the property I seen that some of the cabling from the control unit to the under ground was cable tied to the external of the brick pillar. I'd hoped that was a temporary measure and that he'd be sinking the cables beneath the flags. Though when queried about how he proposed to make this look a little less unsightly, the response was that the "low level cables will be covered in concrete" .....I wasn't exactly sure what to make of that so thought i'd post here and ask some electricians opinions.

close.jpg
far.jpg
IMG-0907.jpg

Could a valid solution be to drill through the brick pillar and run the cable through that rather than cable tying it to the exterior? Also open to other suggestions that I can go back to this guy with. To be honest, i'd have expected he would've lifted all the flags and ran it under those. Not entirely sure why he hasn't...am I within my rights to ask for that to be done?

thanks

P

Andy™

id be more concerned with the lack of safety equipment on that gate, cant see any wiring for them

bet it doesnt comply with British Standards, and i doubt he's measured the forces on it to make sure its within limits

doubt its CE marked either...

any more pics of the entire gate / hinge area etc?

parmageddon

None of that has gone on yet.  So far he's just ran the cables from my property to the control unit. and control unit to beneath the gates, as shown in the picture.

Andy™

come back with some more pics once its 'finished'

parmageddon

I'd like to know if i'm being out of order in requesting that he hides the cables with a better method than "putting concrete over them" I'd rather know that now than wait till he's finished the entire job....

If that's fair game, i'd want it sorted now before continuing any other works.

Andy™

there are not enough cables there yet, so its possible he will be putting some cement over them to hide them a bit once done. its a rough way of doing it though

parmageddon

Cheers, I just can't imagine that looking nice. Is it not possible to sink them beneath the flags and block paving? then there'd be no need for cementing anything, right?

Blue Duck

Looks like 🐕💩 to me & needs concrete pouring all over it.

A bit of conduit or some copex done neatly would look less of an eyesore.

But he's not finished yet and it's a bit early to pass judgment.

🐕💩  

parmageddon

Can any of you show me an example of how it may look with concrete poured over it? I'm trying not to be short-sighted here but I just can't see that looking anything other than horrendous and out of place.

Andy™
Just now, parmageddon said:

Can any of you show me an example of how it may look with concrete poured over it? I'm trying not to be short-sighted here but I just can't see that looking anything other than horrendous and out of place.

virgin do it all the time, just look at some of their installs

parmageddon

What would you recommend instead? I'm trying to have it as sightly as possible, and  as hard to tamper with as possible.

Andy™

youre going to have some cables on show. no way around that.

id have taken the cable down the wall from the panel then either lifted the kerb stone or drilled through it to get it below the surface rather than taking it over the top of it. for the wiring to the other side id probably have installed some conduit / duct for the cables to the safety devices

binky

it's a bit of a mimimum effort install, but the job isn't finished yet. Electrican should be working closer with gate installers to avoid this.

parmageddon

Appreciate it's early doors. Again, just wanted to know what the rules are here in regards to me asking for something else from the installer.....I know nothing of automatic gates, but I do know that I want to minimise the visibility of cables.

Andy™
5 minutes ago, binky said:

it's a bit of a mimimum effort install, but the job isn't finished yet. Electrican should be working closer with gate installers to avoid this.

that gates not new. looks more like someone is adding automation to an existing gate.

Edited by Andy™

binky

in which case it's just  abit rough. It's not exactly hard to lift paving slabs in one piece!

parmageddon

Exactly, I thought the cable layout was interim.....until I seen he'd cable tied it to the pillar's exterior. I want them sunk!

Andy™
Just now, parmageddon said:

Exactly, I thought the cable layout was interim.....until I seen he'd cable tied it to the pillar's exterior. I want them sunk!

you cant easily sink a cable into a brick pillar. you can drill though and keep the wiring on the inside but thats about it

parmageddon

I meant, either going into the flags beneath it and then staying under ground. (blue)

or yes, drilling through the pillar (red)

image004.png
cable.jpg

Evans Electric

Your last picture would be the way to go  , at the moment it looks a mess .    

parmageddon

thanks, i'll pass the info on next time he's round.

Doc Hudson

At the end of the day most things are possible, but sometimes it comes down to what has been agreed when ordering the work. The more labour intensive a task is then the more expensive it is. Are there any specific requirements detailed on the work contract? or are installation methods just left open to the discretion of the installer? Some things may not always look tidy but can still be electrically safe. The rules and regulations guiding how this should be installed will generally relate the safety of the installation not the appearance. As such, different contractors can have very different approaches to the appearance of their installations. I would certainly discuss your concerns with the installer. Did you see any examples of their work before choosing them to install your system?

Doc H.

parmageddon

Yes, plenty, all looked very tidy. Good website, sounded very knowledgeable in person too.

Not to mention the distance from my house to the gates is a good 55m, the installer had someone with him today doing the groundwork, they dug up the lawn to lay the cable down and that's all stuff im happy with. I would've expect that nature of installation with a view of hiding the cables, to continue.

Certainly something i'll be discussing tomorrow now I know that what i'm asking for isn't too outlandish, not overly bothered about price. Just want it to look good and be safe.

apprentice87

I would be more worried about the radius of the bends in the cable, especially the last one next to the gate post with a cleat holding it to the brick work.. What cable is it?? SWA?? There is a minimum bending radius for ALL cables as far as i am aware..

john..

Andy™
6 minutes ago, parmageddon said:

Yes, plenty, all looked very tidy. Good website, sounded very knowledgeable in person too.

Not to mention the distance from my house to the gates is a good 55m, the installer had someone with him today doing the groundwork, they dug up the lawn to lay the cable down and that's all stuff im happy with. I would've expect that nature of installation with a view of hiding the cables, to continue.

Certainly something i'll be discussing tomorrow now I know that what i'm asking for isn't too outlandish, not overly bothered about price. Just want it to look good and be safe.

post some pics once its finished and ill tell you if its safe and compliant or not

parmageddon

Will do, is it easy enough to amend should the final result look unsightly? Would I be looking at an electrician to fix?