DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
parmageddon

Automatic Gates cable question

Question

parmageddon

Hi all,

Recently had a guy some and install (atleast partially so far) some automation for my gates on my front drive.

He had to come in the day while I was at work, on my return to the property I seen that some of the cabling from the control unit to the under ground was cable tied to the external of the brick pillar. I'd hoped that was a temporary measure and that he'd be sinking the cables beneath the flags. Though when queried about how he proposed to make this look a little less unsightly, the response was that the "low level cables will be covered in concrete" .....I wasn't exactly sure what to make of that so thought i'd post here and ask some electricians opinions.

close.jpg
far.jpg
IMG-0907.jpg

Could a valid solution be to drill through the brick pillar and run the cable through that rather than cable tying it to the exterior? Also open to other suggestions that I can go back to this guy with. To be honest, i'd have expected he would've lifted all the flags and ran it under those. Not entirely sure why he hasn't...am I within my rights to ask for that to be done?

thanks

P

Andy™
11 minutes ago, parmageddon said:

Will do, is it easy enough to amend should the final result look unsightly? Would I be looking at an electrician to fix?

probably too late by then to tidy it up, although some things could be boxed in instead

gate wiring does not come under BS7671, its machinery regs & various other standards that most electricians dont know much about

parmageddon

forgot to add this earlier, this is a picture of the other side. I'm fine with this side, think it looks tidy enough.

IMG-0908.jpg

That's how i'd expect it to look on both sides, like this diagram... I guess.

control box, direct down into the underground, and bring it up where the rams are.

toona.jpg

Edited by parmageddon

parmageddon

Also, can't the cables run inside the hollow iron posts? To further prevent exposed cables.

SLIPSHOD & SLAPDASH

As Doc said its all down to what was agreed on paper before the job started. On many of these jobs there is a large steel inside the brick  pillar  so you would not drill through. 

Andy™
8 hours ago, parmageddon said:

forgot to add this earlier, this is a picture of the other side. I'm fine with this side, think it looks tidy enough.

IMG-0908.jpg

That's how i'd expect it to look on both sides, like this diagram... I guess.

control box, direct down into the underground, and bring it up where the rams are.

toona.jpg

that diagram is a basic layout. there is no safety on that example so there will be more cables and more sensors to be fitted

Sidney

I would expect those cables to be buried a lot deeper where vehicles are concerned. I'd be looking around 300mm minimum as the weight of vehicles passing over it will eventually crush the cable.

parmageddon
10 hours ago, Andy™ said:

that diagram is a basic layout. there is no safety on that example so there will be more cables and more sensors to be fitted

True, but it does outline how the lines go underground from the control unit, and only resurface when required. That's the point im making. 

Andy™
15 minutes ago, parmageddon said:

True, but it does outline how the lines go underground from the control unit, and only resurface when required. That's the point im making. 

no it doesnt. its a basic wiringlayout showing that a cable goes from go from control panel(4) to operator (1) & photocell (2).

of course, if you think the wiring looks bad because you can see it, wait until the correct safety edges are fitted. for a start, you will most likely need one on the closing edge of the gate.

as the gate opens into a  gap <500mm so you will need safety devices on the pillar. there also looks like a wall running parallel to the gate in its open position, you will need a safety edge there too (unles your forces are within acceptable values, which doesnt happen very often as if you reduce them too much the gate wont open / close poperly).

parmageddon

Update: when challenged on how the cables should be hidden. I got no reply. So I asked an electrician to come round who said the work was unsafe and very poorly done.

When I passed this information onto the installer, he told me he'd meet me at my property at 10:00AM to discuss it. However, then came to my property at 5:30AM to take back the control box (all recorded on CCTV) clearly he didnt want to continue the work when faced with such an arduous task of making it look sightly.

Glad my alarm bells were justified tbh. Good riddance.

Are any of you based in the NW and want a job?

Andy™

you dont want an electrician, you need someone who knows gate wiring which many electricians dont.

where in the NW? id do it but itll cost you a fair bit in travel

parmageddon

Manchester.

Andy™

probably a bit far... itll cost you a few hundred £££ for me just to turn up

parmageddon

Best quote so far was £2,600, that was with a videx GSM intercom.

Andy™

cheapest isnt always best... im guessing that isnt supplying the gate kit, just the intercom & safety. not really a bad price

PaulieN

Hmmm.... In that last picture I'm seeing what looks like plastic stuffing glands in that galv box. Assuming the cable is SWA as it should to be in that environment, how has the armour been dealt with?

My other concern would be what is the earthing arrangement? Gate posts are obviously set into the ground and outside the equipotential zone of the property. How is the house earthed, if it's TNC-S, has this issue been addressed? Might need a local earth rod and separation of CPC from the house system.

Andy™
1 hour ago, PaulieN said:

Hmmm.... In that last picture I'm seeing what looks like plastic stuffing glands in that galv box. Assuming the cable is SWA as it should to be in that environment, how has the armour been dealt with?

My other concern would be what is the earthing arrangement? Gate posts are obviously set into the ground and outside the equipotential zone of the property. How is the house earthed, if it's TNC-S, has this issue been addressed? Might need a local earth rod and separation of CPC from the house system.

yes, i did notice that too. so whats the real story here. there is more to this youre not saying.

Evans Electric

That does look like a PVC  stuffing gland  ....perhaps its not SWA  cable  :C   ...even better .   The original bloke  appears to be a chancer  who was happy to walk off  as if it happens often .  

kerching

originalbloke  appears to be a chancer  who was happy to walk off  as if it happens often .  

Probably ran off expecting that twonk off the TV "Matt All not too bright "....the consumers champion! To run at him with a film crew

i could never tire of tw@ing him

parmageddon

A lot of what you're saying in regards to earthing and wiring, is way over my head. I'm not even slightly experienced in this field, which is why I'm prepared to trust and pay someone to do it for me.

I'm glad you all agree there's issues though, I've since had three people come and give me quotes and all of them said they'd basically have to start again, which I certainly expected.

The original bloke only turned tail when I mentioned an electrician was coming to have a look at what he'd done, And based on what you're all saying, that does make sense.