DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
ProDave

You cannot cut the seal on a meter, so .......

ProDave

So the "electrician" that did this CU change (some time ago) just joined the substandard N tail out of the meter to his new tail, with an "interesting" joint method, and a reel of tape

N_Joint.thumb.jpg.8b3e9135fc9c6fa638392c6bd1f2a11e.jpg

Looks like he only had 1 Henley with him and he used that for the L connection.

Badger

That is down right dangerous and stupid 

kerching

I've seen worse!

meter tails ....stripped back 2" and cable tied to new piece then wrapped in Sellotape

seemed to work as long as there was no load drawn

binky

I did a job a while ago, the whole house was wired in white cable, but the old board only had black VR in it. Having decided to investigate, (I needed to change the board anyway) I lifted the old bit of carpet I had been sat on many times to find the cables had been joined by twisting the conductors together, wrapping in masking tape, and with Iceland carrier bags around that - Iceland must do really good plastic bags!!!

Evans Electric

:innocentOh  Yeesssss !!  If they were Iceland  they'll be fine  ...none better for insulating dodgy cable joints.   :innocent

Edited by Evans Electric

Evans Electric

And still  the problem of no downstream isolation  in domestic premises  continues.

Now we even have untrained meter monkeys who are allowed to cut & re- seal  etc     but not a qualified electrician . 

Example of today's  meter fitter's work  on a new bungalow I did last year .   

Image004.jpg

ProDave
53 minutes ago, Evans Electric said:

And still  the problem of no downstream isolation  in domestic premises  continues.

Now we even have untrained meter monkeys who are allowed to cut & re- seal  etc     but not a qualified electrician . 

Example of today's  meter fitter's work  on a new bungalow I did last year .   

Image004.jpg

At least he tightened it enough to puncture the insulation.

No problem wit isolation on my job today, no seals on the DNO's fuse.  By the time I go back to correct this Amelie will have visited and there will be none on the meter either.

ProDave

I finished this job today.

Underneath all the tape, it was literally the strands of the small tail, wrapped around the big tail. And once the tape was gone there was not much holding it, they slid apart very easily.

tail_joint.thumb.jpg.7a07899826db1bef7c742d6a9372e09c.jpg

Beats me how anyone could do that and think it acceptable. And also how it has not seemingly got hot and bothered before now.

binky

seen that many times, as long as it is clamped hard under the terminal screws it works fine.

ProDave
10 hours ago, binky said:

seen that many times, as long as it is clamped hard under the terminal screws it works fine.

But that's the point, it was not clamped anywhere, just like that in free air, wrapped in half a reel of black tape.

binky

missed that bit, must have been very good tape :^O