You cannot cut the seal on a meter, so .......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the "electrician" that did this CU change (some time ago) just joined the substandard N tail out of the meter to his new tail, with an "interesting" joint method, and a reel of tape

N_Joint.jpg

Looks like he only had 1 Henley with him and he used that for the L connection.

I did a job a while ago, the whole house was wired in white cable, but the old board only had black VR in it. Having decided to investigate, (I needed to change the board anyway) I lifted the old bit of carpet I had been sat on many times to find the cables had been joined by twisting the conductors together, wrapping in masking tape, and with Iceland carrier bags around that - Iceland must do really good plastic bags!!!

And still  the problem of no downstream isolation  in domestic premises  continues.

Now we even have untrained meter monkeys who are allowed to cut & re- seal  etc     but not a qualified electrician . 

Example of today's  meter fitter's work  on a new bungalow I did last year .   

Image004.jpg

And still  the problem of no downstream isolation  in domestic premises  continues.

Now we even have untrained meter monkeys who are allowed to cut & re- seal  etc     but not a qualified electrician . 

Example of today's  meter fitter's work  on a new bungalow I did last year .   

View attachment 9670
At least he tightened it enough to puncture the insulation.

No problem wit isolation on my job today, no seals on the DNO's fuse.  By the time I go back to correct this Amelie will have visited and there will be none on the meter either.

I finished this job today.

Underneath all the tape, it was literally the strands of the small tail, wrapped around the big tail. And once the tape was gone there was not much holding it, they slid apart very easily.

tail_joint.jpg

Beats me how anyone could do that and think it acceptable. And also how it has not seemingly got hot and bothered before now.