outdoor electrical cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom_wpc__

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what cables are acceptable to be used outdoors, simply put, can I use a 13A 240V 3 core flex outdoors?  I have heard it can be dangerous because it is possible for the PVC coating to crack in the UV rays from the sun, is this true? and if so can you make me aware of any other cable that can be used outdoors that is relatively cheap (I don't want to go over £2 per metre)  

for those wondering I'm powering an outdoor socket from another one inside the house, an RCD plug WILL be used and my consumer unit has that on all breakers anyway 

if you have any more tips/query's about the installation please feel free to comment down below this post 

For short term use standard flex is perfectly ok outdoors, e.g. have a look at what is on an electric lawn mower....

Or caravan electric hooks-ups use flexible cable for short term connections, e.g. maybe couple or three weeks in one go...

BUT.. UV light will deteriorate the PVC on cables (and loads of other plastic items as well, our watering can has perished being left out doors all the time!)

Also extreme of cold or heat, and mechanical damage from garden tools or wildlife having a chew etc...  will all damage the cable.

So any permanent electrical connection needs either additional mechanical protection by use of more appropriate cables such as SWA or using conduit to enclose the wiring...

Personally I would suggest you get an electrician round to have a look at you requirements and give you an estimate..

as from you comment about using an RCD plug with RCD on all your breakers at the consumer unit suggests you don't fully grasp the purpose or how some protective devices actually work..

Stating a budget price of £2 per meter may not be an electrically safe option,

I would strongly recommend you look for safety over price....

If you do get it wrong electricity will kill a healthy adult in less than half a second...

and outdoor wiring is always a more dangerous environment than internal electrical work.

Guinness

thanks for the reply, I do understand how the RCD works and the only reason I'm using the plug is simply for redundancy and also ease of access if it where to trip,

as for the cable, its only going to run a few metres which I why I don't want to spend a lot of money for such a simple job, although there is no doubt I will use armoured cabling designed for outdoor use.   the reason I set the price so low is because I am used to buying the thicker 3 core flex for roughly 80p per meter and didn't realise the price of outdoor cabling.

thanks for the advice! 

thanks for the reply, I do understand how the RCD works and the only reason I'm using the plug is simply for redundancy and also ease of access if it where to trip,

When using RCD's in series you may or may not get any ease of access, it will be pot luck which RCD trips first. Unless you have a time delayed RCD at your CU you will have no idea which one will trip in the event of a fault. If it is possible I would always recommend external wiring is on a dedicated circuit and RCD from the rest of the property. The last thing you need is the power tripping off on half the house because the garden has a fault somewhere.

Doc H.

yea I guessed that would happen, oh well, and as for if it trips, I can just disconnect it from the mains since its wired via a plug, and for such a small installation I don't want to go through the process of wiring it directly its own breaker in the consumer unit 

Wired via a plug it is basically just an appliance plugged into your fixed wiring, which is no different to someone deciding to leave an extension lead outside. May not be the best or ideal solution, but at least you reduce the possible faults currents down to the limits of a standard 13A fuse. You say it is only a short distance and your trying to keep to a low budget, then for some added protection why not feed your supply down some flexible conduit https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-corrugated-conduit-black-20mm-x-10m/50443?_requestid=630930  and/or use some rubber flex similar to that used to supply garden pond water features. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Cables+%26+Flexes/sd2730/3+Core+Flex+Rubber+Cable+(3183TRS)/p76259

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, obviously it will be wired to waterproof outdoor socket with an RCD, so its alot safer than just leaving an extension lead outside lol 

Hello, I was wondering what cables are acceptable to be used outdoors, simply put, can I use a 13A 240V 3 core flex outdoors?  I have heard it can be dangerous because it is possible for the PVC coating to crack in the UV rays from the sun, is this true? and if so can you make me aware of any other cable that can be used outdoors that is relatively cheap (I don't want to go over £2 per metre)  

for those wondering I'm powering an outdoor socket from another one inside the house, an RCD plug WILL be used and my consumer unit has that on all breakers anyway 

if you have any more tips/query's about the installation please feel free to comment down below this post 
Best thing in this situation as others have said is call a local electrician get them to install armoured from house to new outdoor socket and they will test it at the same time unlike a diyer who wouldn't normally have access to the test equipment then you have a safe permanent installation  it would probably only take a spark half a day or so depending on route etc

Last edited by a moderator: