Introduction

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbuk2k2

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gents,

New member to the forum after a little lurking, seen some great content and well informed replies. I'm a electrical/control engineer by discipline but have spent a fair amount of the past 15 years bumbling around various on/offshore oil and gas installations around the world doing commissioning and service work. I mainly work with control systems, PLCs and instruments although I do cross over into power electronics and drives semi regularly.

I'm in the process of building a joinery work shop at home, this seemed like a good place to ask some of the many stupid questions I have. Hopefully I can repay the favour by answering some ATEX/industrial/comms/automation questions.

Cheers

Dave

Welcome Dave, sounds as though you may have a lot of experience to share and an odd story or two? Guess basic electrics isn’t your thing or is it the joinery you want help with :C  

Hi Sharpened,

Thanks for the welcome, I need all the help I can get with the joinery, any tips most welcome ROTFWL

I've got the odd story to share but am struggling to find the thread on experiences in west African strip clubs.

It would be fair to say I spend more time poncing about plugging a laptop into PLCs these days than pulling cables, hopefully a few people will take pity on me and help with some of the differences between offshore/marine and small power domestic stuff.

Apologies in advance for the stupid questions.

Not sure I want to know about West African strip clubs ( not whilst the wife is watching :^O ) .

Control is different to power circuits as I found out many years ago. It's more about installation methods and good practice, but I'm sure you can share some of your PLC control knowledge and we will try to help you with the power.

Hi Binky,

Nice to meet you.

Due to the remote nature of the work I do I tend to get dumped in the deep end with a fair variety of stuff, from power controllers and VSDs to modular switchgear and protection relays to the gayer end of the market with DCS and process instrumentation.

I spend my life working with very small stuff and massive stuff but its quite rare I get to play with the in between domestic/light industrial stuff. A lot of what we do is borrowed from the marine world with an American influence so can be quite different to what I've seen in the free world.

Cheers

Dave

Well I've just run a check and ..no ...we do  NOT have  ..and have never had ..a thread on West African Strip clubs  ...so you'll have to start one  I'm   afraid.  

There have been some dodgy threads from Kerch   but I believe they've all been deleted now . 

Welcome to the Forum  ... your workshop electrics need to conform to BS7671      the Bible of  most of us here .      As for joinery  hints.....good luck with that .  :innocent

Deke

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts